I've finally figured out why I so enjoy watching Darcy play each new sport that she elects to try. First it was softball last summer, and now it's basketball with Upward, a Christian youth organization. Know what it is? It's like watching myself thirty years ago, only it's an athletic version that is completely foreign to me. I tell Darcy all the time, for all of the myriad of ways in which we are alike, I cannot claim to have passed on athletic prowess in any way, shape or form.
Saturday morning was opening day at the North Davis church of Christ, and excitement was in the air. Emotions were running high and the anticipation of great things to come was palpable. And that was just me! Darcy has such a sweet spirit about her--the night before the game she prayed that God would help her to be a good sport and to enjoy the game no matter what the outcome was. And I knew she really meant it--of course she would prefer to win the game, but more than anything she was simply looking forward to playing basketball! Where did this child come from??
And as though the prospect of playing ball was not enough, Darcy was overjoyed to find out upon walking into the stadium Saturday morning that not one but two of her old PCA pals were playing on the opposing team--and because there are only enough girls in Darcy's age bracket to make two teams, she'll play them each week!!
I was going to post a bunch of pictures here but given my affinity for Facebook (and the comparative speed with which I can upload pictures compared to Blogger's snail's pace), I have included the link here to my Facebook album. When the photos appear on the screen, just click on the first photo and then you can click "Next" to scroll through the whole album. Easy-peasy! I noted in the captions that I would have liked to have gotten a few more "in the thick of it" action shots, but because Darcy is younger than most of the girls in the 5th grade, she is also shorter than most of the girls. But she was awesome in her debut! Shooting, blocking, rebounding, stealing--she brought it all! It was such a fun day and I'm already looking forward to next Saturday!
3 comments:
Andrea, Deklan is playing Upward for the first time this year. He had his first game on Friday night. It was the most fun I have had in a long time. He, of course, was a lot shorter than all the other boys out there. It was really cute and Jonathan was so proud because Deklan was the only one "boxing" out when a shot was made. He even did a great job of blocking his man while on offense. He reasoning was "I didn't want him to try to steal the ball from us." I can't wait until his next game.
That's my girl. She just has to do everything to the max. Steph was the same way.I remember a time she played baseball in the 3rd grade. She came home in white jeans covered with grass stain because she had to slide into base.
I think children should try as many things as possible. Darcy just can't let Tyler get ahead of her no way no how. When does Peyton start her sports career?
Love Lynn
Yay for Darcy! As an exaggerated but proud 5'1", I was never worth anything at basketball. But I respect her for trying it and being awesome!! :) What a brilliant idea to have kid church leagues?! Wish they'd thought of that one 20 years ago!!
Post a Comment