I
have to brag on my teenage daughter for a moment. Darcy’s maturity
continues to reveal itself in choices and decisions she makes that would
perhaps be minor to an adult, but are challenging for a
thirteen-year-old. She is very competitive and driven in both academics
and sports (the perfect student athlete!), and I have long admired her
ability to balance assignments, projects, practices and games.
But what I really admire is her ability to look at her schedule and
say, “Too much.” After all, isn’t an overbooked schedule one of the
hallmarks of the teenage life? Yesterday Darcy made the difficult
decision to give up volleyball, one of her favorite sports and a
particular talent of hers, after taking an honest assessment of her
upcoming freshman year and determining that playing three sports AND
participating in marching/concert band AND maintaining her ranking at
the top of her class, not to mention her heavy involvement in church and
youth activities, would simply be “too much.” She could teach me a
thing or two about saying “No.” I am so proud of you, Darcy-girl!
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment