Tuesday, May 14, 2013

(Good) Citizens, Unite!

Thanks to the Academy Awards, the line, “It’s an honor just to be nominated” has become something of a punchline in popular culture. But if ever those seven little words applied to my children, it’s now—and by now I mean during this time when they are “of age.” Let me explain and, quite frankly, brag for a moment: Every spring, the teachers at Pantego Christian Academy nominate three boys and three girls in each of the grades 6 through 12 to receive the Citizenship Award, and then the boys’ and girls’ peers vote to select the young man and young woman in each grade who most exemplify a good citizen.

My firstborn, Tyler, has been fortunate to have been nominated for this award twice, and he actually took the prize two years ago. Sweet Darcy was nominated once before as well, and is nominated again this year. And guess what? Not that I am a bit surprised, but Peyton has also been nominated by her teachers! That's right--BOTH of the Todd girls are in contention this year!

Sure, I enjoy when my kids are recognized for academic excellence, but it is far more gratifying to me to discover that my children’s teachers AND friends view them as respectful, helpful, kind and eager to make their world a better place. So whether or not Darcy and/or Peyton triumph this year, I really do believe “it’s an honor just to be nominated!”

No comments: