Dear Darcy,
Being the parent of two kids who have now reached the special milestone of having lived sixteen years on this earth, I can say with certainty that it isn’t getting any easier to watch you all grow up and, inevitably, away from me. That is not to say, however, that I have not derived any pleasure from seeing my children develop into young adults. THAT has been a distinct pleasure indeed.
Darcy, you’re sixteen years old today. S-I-X-T-E-E-N. It is so hard to wrap my mind around the knowledge that you are not a little girl anymore but the truth is, you’ve always been an old soul, mature beyond your years. As this day has approached, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the traits that set you apart from the average sixteen-year-old girl. And I believe I’ve come up with three Ls that describe you perfectly.
First, you are a fiercely LOYAL friend. Loyalty is a surprisingly rare commodity among teenagers, but you are true blue. I know you know this because I take every opportunity to point out this character trait in you. I have watched “fair weather” friends come and go in your life, but the hand of friendship you have extended to each has been steadfast through weather both fair and foul. I am so proud both of the way you conduct yourself when disagreements arise and of the way you calmly work through issues. Which leads me to the second L . . .
You are as LEVEL-HEADED as they come. Seriously. You just know the term “drama queen” had to originate with teenage girls, and yet you have fastidiously avoided that stereotype ever since you entered your tween years. Your methodical ability to reason your way through tough situations is remarkable for one so young, you have more common sense in your little finger than many grown-ups have in their entire bodies, and you know exactly who you are and you’re just fine with it. Regardless of what the world says you should think or feel or look like or care about, you make those decisions based on God’s word and your own heart. Speaking of which . . .
You have a deeply LOVING heart. Your heart is touched by those who tend to live on the fringes, and you reach out to those who feel alone. You are generous with your love and you accept others’ faults (except when Dad smacks—we’ve still got to work on that). Sure, you disagree with your siblings on occasion, but I see how you look up to Tyler with admiration and respect, I see the sweet notes you write to Peyton, and I see the bald spot you’ve kissed on Sawyer’s head! In fact, anytime I can’t find Sawyer, the first place I look is in your room where I am likely to find him curled up in your bed listening to music with you while you do your homework. If anything ever happens to me, I don’t know about the rest of the family but I know Sawyer will be just fine because he’ll still have YOU! But seriously . . .
Sometimes I feel sad that many of the traits that I admire so much in you were not passed on to you by me. For example, you are calm and rational; I am . . . well, not. You are a whiz at math; me, not so much (but since I’m a FINANCIAL AID counselor, for goodness’ sake, let’s just keep that between us, okay?). You approach a situation with an eye toward the endless possibilities it brings; I am your classic “glass half empty” kind of gal. IT’S NOT FAIR!!! Oh, yeah, you’re not a whiner, either.
Darcy, there’s a little saying that my mom used to say to me all the time, and as “trite” as it might sound, it has stuck with me all these years and I find myself saying it to you kids because it’s just so appropriate . . . you are the light of my life and the joy of my heart. Your beauty radiates from a spirit that trusts in the Lord and seeks righteousness, and I quite literally could not be any prouder of the woman that you are becoming than I am now. I love you forever and always.
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment