Friday, May 2, 2014

Young Authors For the Win!

Sawyer and his buddy Amanda tied for the grand prize--the SWEEPSTAKES, if you will--in the Pantego Christian Academy Young Authors and Illustrators competition! To say I'm proud but just a little bit surprised would be completely accurate. Sawyer has a vocabulary to die for and when he goes into literary mode, his stories hold the attention of all who are listening. His G & T instructor had shared a previously-written story with me (and with several others, I might add) that absolutely made her jaw drop with its command of descriptive language; and yet when I read the draft of the story that he planned to submit in the YA competition, I was afraid it was too nonsensical, perhaps a little TOO imaginative, for the likes of the panel of judges. Well, what do I know?

I had received an e-mail informing me that Sawyer would be receiving a prize, but due to my work scheduled I had to send Randy to the awards ceremony. He had a previously-scheduled appointment that threatened to conflict with the ceremony, so he was practically on the edge of his seat waiting to bolt as soon as Sawyer's name was called. When the 4th grade awards were given out, he waited--impatiently--as they called out the 3rd place winner . . . now the 2nd place winner . . . and what's this? Sawyer hasn't been called? He's the 1st place winner? But wait! Someone else's name is called! Sawyer did not win 1st place!

These are the texts I'm receiving as Randy has one foot in the auditorium and one foot out, anxious not to be late for his appointment. "WHAT ELSE COULD THERE BE??!" I text frantically. It was not until my sweet friend posted the photo you see below that I discovered the outrageous truth--that both Sawyer and Amanda had churned out stories that were deserving of an honor even higher than 1st place!


Oh, and in case you're curious as to why Sawyer is dressed peculiarly, that grand day happened to coincide with "Backward Day," so his pants, shirt, even his medal were all facing the back wall!!


And here is Mr. Co-Grand Prize Winner himself with his sister to whom his story is dedicated, "for knowing everything about a storm." So sweet!

No comments: