Saturday, July 5, 2014

Has It Really Been That Long?

18 years ago right at this moment, I was holding my brand-new baby in my arms. 18 years. I'm sure every veteran parent has felt just the way I do now--overwhelmed with emotion, in disbelief that time has passed so very quickly--and yet there is no denying that my baby is not a baby anymore. Where once stood a little blond-headed, front-teeth-missing, Lego-building fanatic now stands (towers, really) a tall, strong, handsome young man in his place.

Even though I tell him frequently, I'm not sure Tyler realizes just how incredible he is. Being the son of a preacher he was, at an early age, thrust into a spotlight he didn't welcome and, in fact, he wished he could escape. But as time passed and he became more comfortable in his skin, I watched my son transform from a boy who hated attention to a young man who almost revels in it (think LTC drama, Drum Captain of the marching band, Senior Sunday emcee . . .)! And as his comfort level has increased, so have his leadership skills. In his youth group, with the absence of a youth minister for many months, Tyler emerged as a clear leader (thanks to several excellent examples before him). Tyler's integrity, loyalty and discretion are qualities I have long admired in him (sometimes I think he may be too discreet when I want him to spill details and he refuses!), and his quick wit and humor keep me laughing.

But what I love most as I watch Tyler grow into manhood is seeing the relationships he has developed with those older than himself. His reputation is that of a hard worker, someone who is trustworthy and reliable, honest and capable, conscientious, respectful, polite and responsible. Who wouldn't want to hear their 18-year-old son described in such a way? Randy and I receive just such reports on a regular basis, and our hearts swell with gratitude and thanks to God for guiding us as we have raised up this child who has been such a source of pride and pleasure for 18 years.

So today, on his 18th birthday, I will not dwell on all those moments from his childhood that may never be relived, but will instead celebrate the man whom God has so graciously entrusted to our care, and will look forward with joyful anticipation to whatever comes next! Happy 18th birthday, Tyler!

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson

No comments: