Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Miss My Boy


Isn't that a great picture of Tyler? Randy took a wonderful series of photos of Tyler in our backyard but something about this particular photo just made my heart stop when I saw it. When did he get so big??? Why, I was just changing the diaper on his spindly little 6 lb., 11 oz. body last week! Ah, well . . . .

I've been missing my boy this week. Randy and I arose at 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning in order to put Tyler on a bus so that he could make the annual trek to Pine Springs Church Camp in the mountains of New Mexico. I didn't mention anything on my blog but the girls had returned just a couple of days before from Camp Impact in Oklahoma, and I was pleased both to see them go and to see them return. (And now, because I feel compelled, I would like to clarify that when I say I was "glad to see them go" I mean I felt no angst whatsoever about letting them go for the better part of a week. Just so you know . . .)

I have developed a pattern of reacting slightly differently at the prospect of separating from Tyler for a few days. I weep, I wring my hands, I mope around with a heavy heart . . . not exactly the proper send-off, but what can I do? I daresay no one will ever accuse me of lacking emotion! I haven't really had time to analyze my thoughts and actions--I certainly don't believe I harbor ANY feelings of preference or favoritism toward my first-born; in fact, I'm inclined to believe that perhaps it is simply that he IS my first-born that I share a unique bond with him that cannot be duplicated. Consequently, while I spent my days during the girls' absence knowing, just KNOWING in my heart that they were having the time of their lives on the Oklahome Christian campus, I have spent the last few days in near-constant prayer for Tyler--for his safety and well-being, and just missing him and longing to see his sweet face again. I really do miss that boy.



In more ways than one.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

He is so grown up and so handsome. What a great picture.

Anonymous said...

He is growning up and when that happens they begin to grow away a little. And of course he is the first born you will probably feel the same when the girls get older too.Tyler really has his game face on in that picture but you and I know he is not mean but so sweet. I love that boy too
lynn