Okay, I have only stolen a blog post from someone once before and I still don't know the Internet rules for posting someone else's stuff. I didn't want to merely link to this entry because I wouldn't be able to guarantee that everyone tuning in here would link over to there. That takes a few extra steps, you see, and time is money and all that. So I am posting the entry in its entirety here but I am stating, no, I am SHOUTING up-front that I did not write this blog entry, but I wish I had!
Just a few facts: This entry is from a blog entitled Stuff Christians Like and it is one of the funniest and cleverest blogs I've come across. When I took up Facebook I essentially gave up reading blogs (no offense to any of my friends who have blogs--but come to think of it, maybe that's why none of my friends read my blog anymore either!). But back to SCL: The author's name is Jon Acuff and he lives in Georgia, I believe. I haven't taken the time to nail down exactly what is his current occupation within the church, but I have gathered from his writing that he's not new to the institution and he is keenly observant of the silly follies and foibles of the average congregation. He is also quick-witted and very, very funny when he wants to be, which is most of the time.
However, I somehow stumbled onto his blog--still can't remember how--when he wrote an excellent post detailing why today's college kids need to hang on rather than abandon their faith in those crucial years . . . and he used his sometimes painful experience to drive his point home. I remember reading that particular entry and thinking that I wanted to save it and let my kids read it when they're getting ready to head off to college themselves.
And then today, I came across this post. And maybe it's just me but I thought it was SOOO funny, I had to go the extra mile and share it with someone. I will not tack anything on at the end so everything you read from here on out is all Jon. Oh . . . you're welcome.
Forgiving People Who Haven't Apologized by Jon Acuff
We're supposed to forgive people.
That's in the Bible somewhere. I know it is. I mean Jesus says at one point that you should forgive people 7 times 70. As a writer I'm not the greatest at math but even I know that calculates out to about 2,900 times. And forgiving people is great, but sometimes it's funny too. Particularly when we let people know that we've forgiven them even though they haven't apologized or asked us to.
Me:
"Hey, can we talk for a minute? I know things have been kind of awkward between us lately and our friendship is strained a little, but I want to be honest with you today. I want you to know that I forgive you."
Friend:
"Forgive me? For what?"
Me:
"I'd rather not go into the details and reopen the wound, but that thing you did to me a few weeks ago. I forgive you for that. It's important to me that you know I have erased that debt in my heart."
Friend:
"I have no idea what you're talking about. Did I do something?"
Me:
"I'm a Christian and I'm called to forgive people and love my enemies. So even though it still stings a little, I want you to know we're cool now."
Friend:
"Wait a second, we're enemies? Whoa. When did that happen?"
Me:
"Stop, just stop. Just know that I forgive you. Someday maybe you'll understand. Come here, let's hug it out."
Friend:
"Don't touch me."
Me:
"I forgive that too. You can keep pushing me away, but I'm just going to keep loving on you."
Friend:
"You know that's not really a verb."
Me:
"Just let me pour out my forgiveness and put a hedge of protection around our friendship.
Friend:
"You are so weird."
Me:
"And you are so forgiven."
That's probably never happened to you, but I've been on the receiving end of that before. And it's a baffling, confusing, eventually humorous experience. But make no mistake, it's not forgiveness, it's soft revenge. And rarely do you feel "loved on" in that moment.
Has someone ever forgiven you for something you didn't apologize for?
Have you ever done that to someone? (It's OK if you have. I forgive you.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Now I want to read Jon's post about college kids needing to hang on to their faith!
MM
I second MM. Can you give us the link? Hope you're having a good vacation.
Post a Comment