Sunday, November 10, 2013

Be Like Mike

Twice a week for a couple of hours, Sawyer hangs out in the band hall with his sisters after school, waiting for Tyler to finish up in drumline practice. As a result he has come to be good friends with many of the band kids, which might seem a little out of the ordinary given that he's only ten years old. To be honest, I assume that some of the kids merely tolerate Sawyer because he's Tyler's or Darcy's or Peyton's little brother, but I've been pleasantly surprised to discover that quite a few of the older kids actually find Sawyer to be a pretty cool little guy (and why wouldn't they???). But I was unprepared for the anecdote that was shared with me at Friday night's football game by the mother of a freshman tuba player. This mother confided in me that her son is not really what you would call a "kid person," but he has nonetheless taken a shine to Sawyer, so much so that he told his mom, "You know, if I ever DO have a son, I want him to be JUST LIKE SAWYER." Coming from a 14-year-old boy, that's high praise indeed!

No comments: