I pity the folks who wind up behind us at the security checkpoint in the airport when we fly to Texas in a couple of weeks. When I think of all that metal we'll be packin'. . .
Tyler is now sporting a partial set of braces--I think his expander has to go to work for a while before he gets brackets and bands on the rest of his teeth--and it was hilarious (to me) to see his reaction to his new "look" as compared to Darcy's when she first got braces. You may recall that she was ultra-sensitive and didn't even want to open her mouth, let alone show anyone her cool colors or--gasp!--palate expander. Tyler, on the other hand, was eager to show off his scarlet and gray (Go Bucks!) chains around his brackets.
His palate expander is, in a word, scary. I know he'll be used to it in a couple of days but for now he sounds like Sid the Sloth from Ice Age. Darcy's expander has a simple thin wire running horizontally from one side of her mouth to the other, but Tyler's is much more elaborate and blankets the entire roof of his mouth. I have to wind it for him once a day and frankly, I don't know how I'm going to keep from gagging him! I pictured turning the little "key" in a clockwise motion, but instead, I have to take this pointy thing, stick it in a microscopic hole on the roof of his mouth and push backward until another little microscopic hole appears. I would have taken a picture of it to post on my blog but then ALL OF YOU would be gagging!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I think you should give the job to Randy. You can say it is a bonding thing for them.
the Xbox thing is not griping it is just getting caught up in the game they are playing. Call it enthusiasiam. Now doesn't that sound better already.
I think I'm speaking for us all when I say "Thank you for considering our well-being and NOT posting the detailed pictures"
:)
I had one of those when I was younger also. It's not that bad, you'll get used to it after awhile. You'll get used to the odd sounding K and H sounds after a couple weeks. Tyler will also get used to the pressure as well, it's worse the first couple of weeks, but ibuprofen & tylenol helps with that. The worst part, probably yet to come, it when he'll get food stuck between the expander and the roof of his mouth, but the roof of his mouth is too narrow to fit his finger in between and then you get creative! That was much worse than the pressure. But his smile will be well worth all the hassle.
I could bump up my comment count by replying to all three separately but you all would see right through me, wouldn't you?!
Lynn, I love your idea about giving the job to Randy but he's already in charge of giving Tyler his allergy shots--at some point I've just got to step up, wouldn't you say?! And again, you're always looking on the bright side of the X-Box--I read an article about two NFLers who were trying out the new Halo 3 game and the description sounded just like my kids! You're right--maybe it is just an overdose of enthusiasm!
Firewyvern--you'd better believe it! You don't even know the HALF of it (unless, of course, you had one yourself growing up). If you change your mind, I can show you a nice shot of soggy glue, saliva and chicken noodle soup remmants!
Tina, I know it didn't take Darcy long to get used to her expander but as I say, Tyler's is way more elaborate. He already experienced that irritating little problem this morning when he tried to eat a nice, soft pear and got some of the skin stuck to the roof of his mouth. He used this little miniature bottle brush-looking thingie to dislodge it. Oh, and as for the pain relief, he claims it hurts to even chew the tablets, something Darcy NEVER complained about. It's gonna be a long day.
Oh Andrea, I was gagging just reading the description--of course that is unfair because everything makes me gag these days :) If you decide to put pictures make sure to have a warning! Hope the rest of the day is going better and if not that the next few weeks pass quickly for you and Tyler.
Erin, believe me, I want to DRAW IN readers, not alienate them! You won't be seeing any internal orthodontic appliances on THIS blog!
Trip to Dallas for the entire family?
So now Tyler is THE ONE with braces. Good color selection!
(Trying to catch up on your blog, Andrea!)
Post a Comment