Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The X Factor

I caved. I totally caved. I still can't believe it and, for the record, neither can my kids! I, an adamant opponent of video game systems (at least when it comes to OWNING one), actually went out yesterday and voluntarily purchased an X-Box! Am I out of my mind???

Randy deserves most of the credit/blame for the purchase itself. I was simply minding my own business, browsing the shelves at Blockbuster for a movie to view on Family Movie Night. While there, my cell phone rang and I heard Randy's voice in my ear, inquiring first as to the selection of movies that were "kid-friendly" but that were also of interest to our children. I must admit, there weren't many. I told him I'd do my best, and terminated the conversation.

Just a few moments later, the phone rang again. In retrospect, I can see now that this was all carefully planned and orchestrated by Randy and I was his unwitting pawn. Randy's voice was in my ear again, telling me that if I wasn't able to locate a suitable movie, then he was aware of a local video game store that just happened to be running a Labor Day sale, and that if I wanted to pick up an X-Box while I was there, he was just SURE the kids wouldn't mind playing a video game instead. How do I walk right into these things?

So a few minutes later I found myself at the help counter of said video game store, practically waving my arms in defeat and muttering, "Just give it to me." At the very least, everything was USED to begin with, and I got a 20% discount on the unit, the controllers (one of which is wireless so that's one less plug snaking across the floor) and the two games I purchased--Jedi Outcast for Tyler and some Sonic game for the girls (I really don't care enough to find out the actual name).

Tyler got exactly 30 minutes to play on it yesterday evening and I know he felt like he'd barely blinked before his time was up; in fact, Randy was playing with Tyler at one point and I think it griped him that I was firm on the 30-minute rule because they were having a blast! Then the girls played Sonic together for 30 minutes and Peyton belly-ached the whole time because she couldn't figure out how to make her little guy jump. I have no doubt she'll have it mastered in no time.

At the end of the day, I must admit I would rather be the owner of the X-Box than Tyler--that is a scenario Randy tossed around for a while. Tyler hoards his allowance money like he's going to have to support his decrepit old mom and dad within the year, so he could have afforded to purchase the system himself. I was not willing to relinquish that kind of control to him, nor did I want him to wield that kind of control over the girls. Call me power-hungry, but there you have it.

Both of the girls came downstairs this morning and said, "I can't BELIEVE you bought an X-Box!" Trust me, neither can I. Their poor Webkinz pets will probably die from neglect now. Randy took one particular security measure and hid the power cable in my purse, of all places, so that Tyler wouldn't be tempted to play this morning before school. Whoa, I shouldn't have said that!

3 comments:

Firewyvern said...

X-box? I mean if you are gonna cave you might as well go big ... you know something like a Wii or something :)

Looked at houses this past weekend with my daughter. The first house we looked at had 5 game systems (that were out and hooked up at least) and NOT counting the computer. We wondered if they would leave them in the house when they sold it ....
Playstation2, Wii, Gamecube, XBOX360 and Nintendo64. How does anyone have time for that many game systems?

Andrea said...

Funny you should mention that--the Wii is the ONLY system that I had really given my "blessing" for, what with the alleged exercise benefits that can be derived (never mind the potential damage to household furniture!). Why, why, why did I let him talk me into getting an X-Box??? I already regret the decision!

As for all those systems in one house (and I think I can safely say they will NOT be part of the package!), maybe the seller is fickle like me and my exercise videos--just depends on his mood and what he wants to do at the time. But you're right--five systems is OVERKILL!

Anonymous said...

Cuz...I'm right with you! Or at least I was. I was just as adamant, then Amanda WON and XBox at school 4 yrs. ago. They had some fund raiser, and for every $25 they made - their name was entered into a drawing. Amanda said over and over, she was hoping for the XBox, and she got it. All of the teachers at school said you would have thought she had won a million dollars by how she reacted!! Needless to say, I could not say no! To top it all off, Jeff got her a PS2 at Xmas! Oh well!!