Sunday, December 9, 2007

Jumping the Track

Okay, so I wasn't planning to slip out of chronological order in my story-telling, but the events of the day warrant your immediate attention and so here I am! First, I want to post a disclaimer: A number of you posted very touching comments on my final one or two blog entries before we left Ohio and because I did not have access to a computer for so long, I decided not to go back and reply to each one because I figured you would not be looking back either. But now that I am back up and running, I will try to reply to each comment that you leave, so keep 'em coming! (In fact, Tina and Kelly, there is a reply waiting for you right now!)

Okay, on to the business of the day. It began like any other Sunday morning, by which I mean we arrived at the church building and the kids immediately disappeared like roaches do when you flip on a light. Okay, bad analogy. But anyway, for the second week in a row I forgot that services start at 9:30, and we showed up like eager beavers at about 8:45, only to discover that ours was only about the fourth car in the parking lot. Oy. I woke Sawyer up for THIS??? But that was okay, because the configuration of the Woodland West auditorium is such that if you come in on the west side, many east side-sitters don't see you, and vice versa. So by coming early, we were able to mix and mingle throughout the auditorium and then just light in our place once services began. Just before the worship leaders took to the stage, one of them approached Sawyer and asked him if he would come up on stage for just a moment before the children were released for Bible Hour. And Sawyer, who never misses an opportunity to bask in the limelight, willingly agreed. And it was really sweet: As arranged, Jack called for Sawyer about 30 minutes into the service and Sawyer trotted up and sat down next to him on the stage. Believe it or not, he toned down his act and was actually pretty endearing--somewhat unusual of late for the child who has decided he quite likes his fishbowl existence!

After church we grabbed a quick lunch (bless you, Sonic!) because we had to be back at the building at 2:00 for an old-fashioned "pounding." A pounding for whom, you ask? Why, for the Todds, of course! I cannot believe Randy is missing out on some of the experiences I've had in one week alone, and this one takes the cake! For two hours I chatted and made many new friends with some of THE most generous, humble, caring, loving people you'll ever come across, and all the while bags and boxes and cards were pouring in, gifting us with "non-perishable" items to help us set up house-keeping. And I'm sorry, but this is just too good to keep to myself--you've just got to read for yourself what made its way home to me (by way of my van and another SUV, and unloaded with help from three people--thank you J.C., Kevin and Jenny!):

32 pounds of sugar
27 pounds of flour
5 pounds of cornmeal
3 pound-box of baking mix
2 boxes corn muffin mix
2 pounds confectioner's sugar
2 pounds light brown sugar
11 pounds pinto beans
7 bags/boxes of rice
11 pounds spaghetti plus 3 pounds assorted pasta
8 extra-large jars of spaghetti sauce
2 large and 3 medium cans of spaghetti rings and meatballs
5 pounds of potatoes and one huge box of instant potatoes
1 box of croutons
6 boxes of brownie mix
5 boxes of bread/muffin mix
1 box of apple crisp
3 boxes of cake mix (and a brand-new baking pan!)
2 tubs of frosting
4 large jars of peanut butter
4 jars of jelly
6 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 extra-large can of tomato sauce
1 can of Rotel
1 jar of picante sauce
4 cans of fruit
16 cans of soup
27 cans of green beans
1 extra-large can of baked beans
2 cans of salmon
1 large can of chicken breast chunks
11 cans of corn
6 cans of sweet peas
3 cans of asparagus
4 cans of ranch-style beans
2 cans chicken broth
4 cans of tuna
3 cans of chili
1 can of Sloppy Joe mix
3 boxes of Jell-o
2 boxes of pudding
3 boxed dinners
2 boxes of stuffing
8 boxes/canisters of hot chocolate
2 cans of mixed nuts
2 bags of pecans
4 boxes of snack crackers
1 box of vanilla wafers
1 huge bag of animal crackers
2 bags of chips
1 big tub of raisins
3 containers of oatmeal
4 boxes and a 10-pack variety of cereal
2 family-size boxes of Pop Tarts
10 boxes of macaroni and cheese
2 large bottles of pancake syrup
1 bottle of chocolate syrup
4 bottles of spices
1 extra-large bottle of barbecue sauce
1 large bottle of olive oil
1 jar plus 6 single-serve containers of applesauce
15 bags of microwave popcorn plus one pan of Jiffy Pop popcorn
1 tub of coffee
1 quart of Miracle Whip
1 bottle of ketchup
1 box of baking soda
2 boxes of tea bags
1 bottle of apple juice
1 roll of aluminum foil and one roll of Saran Wrap
2 boxes of dishwashing detergent
1 large bottle of dishwashing liquid
7 rolls of paper towels
9 rolls of bathroom tissue
1 box of Kleenex
1 bag of napkins
5 boxes of sandwich bags
1 large box of garbage bags
1 package of paper plates
20 pounds of laundry detergent--do these people know us or WHAT??!
1 bag of Hershey's Kisses
1 bag of assorted Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat bars, Baby Ruth bars, and Butterfingers
And my favorite was an opened package of Snickers bars with 2 or 3 missing--I don't know who gave us those, but I'm sure we're going to be good friends!

And that's not to mention the $260 in Wal-mart, Target and grocery gift cards we received in addition! And that's not to mention the 7 pounds of ground beef, 5 pounds of chicken tenders and enormous box of taquitos that was dropped off at my house Thursday night! And THAT'S not to mention the three separate goodie baskets we received when we first moved in! I am amazed, overwhelmed, awed, humbled, grateful, and so very, very blessed. I almost can't take it in. And now the burning question: Where to put it all???!

I had just enough time to create a path in my kitchen for us to walk through when it was time to load up and head for Midlothian, where Clark was in a production of The Christmas Post. He played a fat Irish policeman (seriously, that is not intended to be offensive--that is exactly how he described his character!) and he was a scene-stealer! He was hilarious! At one point in a scene he had to chase a guy who was hoisting a canoe over his head, and the chase led all around and through the audience, and the kids got a huge kick out of that. Hopefully now that we live so close, we can catch all of Clark and family's productions!

Yikes--look at the time. Another busy day awaits me tomorrow so I'll bring this to a close and try to get back to my notes tomorrow. Love to all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is a lot of food!!! You guys will not have to go shopping until next year!!! Seriously, I'm very glad you chose us to be your new home! We already love you and your family!!!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Andrea I went to church the last two Sunday's you were there and still never got to physically see you and tell you goodbye! :( I'm glad to see your trip, although chaotic, was safe and you have arrived! What a wonderful HUGE offering or "pounding" you received!! I'm sure it will all go to great use! Talk to you soon!

Andrea said...

Lori, it WAS amazing, wasn't it? But I'll have you know we stopped at Wal-mart after being at PCA this morning and I picked up a gallon of Blue Bell ice cream! Not that I've had any yet, but I do love me some Blue Bell!

Andrea said...

Stacy, I cannot believe it! I didn't see even a glimpse of you! That makes me so sad. But we're settling in very nicely, though much more slowly than I'd like. I think I'm driving my friend Tracy crazy with my unpacking methods! She is a master and has come over several times to help keep me focused and on task!