Thursday, December 27, 2007

Pride Goeth Before a Fall

Remember how I said that all I wanted for Christmas was for Randy to come home? Turns out I actually wanted more! Funny how that works, isn't it? Well, I must have been a very good little girl this year because I got my Christmas wish--I got a laptop!!! Of course, it's Randy's old laptop but that's neither here nor there; the important thing is that I can now access the Internet (and more importantly, MY BLOG) from anywhere in the house! No, we haven't gone wireless yet, and it IS sort of a pain to relocate from one room to another, but that's not the point--the point is, it CAN be done!

Randy stayed up a little late last night transferring all of his pertinent files onto an external hard drive and cleaning things up for me, and today he dusted it off and handed it over to me with a flourish. And so now here I sit, rocking in my comfy chair, keeping one eye on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (the chosen movie for the evening) while doing my two favorite things: spending time with my family and blogging! What could be better?!

I hadn't intended to go without blogging the last few days but in case you weren't aware, Christmas can be a very busy time of year! Yesterday I did something that I have never, ever done in all my forty years--I went shopping on Christmas Eve! Who in their right mind would ever do such a thing voluntarily??? Not me, I can tell you that! I had coasted through the holidays with only a modicum of guilt over our kids' lack of gifts--we did get them a brand-new house, after all--but due to the last-minute receipt of several gift cards, Randy and I decided to get each of the kids a present. And now that I think about it, I guess I got one other present from Randy--a kid-free shopping excursion! Yes, you read that right: Our plan to "divide and conquer" ended with Randy taking ALL FOUR KIDS with him on his trip to Best Buy, Bed, Bath and Beyond and the dreaded Wal-mart. (He gets bonus points for even attempting the last store.)

Well, I guess I was just getting a little cocky, what with bragging about my new laptop and my chance to go Christmas shopping without the kids--because right after I typed the above paragraph, my laptop bit the dust! I started this entry on Christmas Day, but circumstances conspired to prevent me from getting back on until now (with a new power cord, which is the pertinent fact here).

The whole reason I wanted to mention Randy's shopping trip was because he bought two of the kids' gifts right under their noses, paid for them at the register and everything, and they were totally clueless! He got Peyton a Locket Pal to match the one Darcy got for her birthday, and he got Darcy the CD that Ashley Tisdale (of High School Musical fame) released. How he was able to pull off that feat without them discovering what he was up to is still a mystery to me. Meanwhile, I was over at Target where I found the cutest Timex watch for Sawyer with a washable cloth wristband with iguanas on it, and the minute and second hands also have iguanas that move as the watch ticks. Oh, and it glows in the dark, which is always a cool feature to a four-year-old.

Poor Tyler was the toughest to buy for. He had gone to the trouble of putting together a wish list back when we were in Ohio, but I dismissed it because at the time I didn't think the kids would be getting any gifts at all. Most of his stuff was at Lego.com where my gift cards weren't accepted, so that was out. I searched Target for any of the Lego sets he wanted, or even one of the die-cast Star Wars ships he had asked for, but no dice. I gave up looking in the toy section and went over to the CDs to look for the album that Darcy wanted (before I knew Randy had found it). And what do you suppose I found, sitting there innocently, but in the totally wrong section? I found the Lego Star Wars game for the XBox! No, not the $60 saga that Tyler had on his wish list (dream on, kid) but the $19.99 version that he got to play once when he got his hair cut and has dreamed about ever since! It was fate, I tell you, fate! Or luck. One or the other.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey a quick note. I showed Jackson the fire pictures. He thought it was so cool but wanted to know why Saywer was wearing shorts outside. Then wanted to know when he could wear shorts outside. The things kids say.

Andrea said...

Jackson would live in shorts if he could, huh? Well, tell him we've had to temporarily shelve them due to the less-than-summerlike temps we've been having lately. Seems even Texas gets cold occasionally!!!

I'm enjoying keeping up with your fam on your blog. We'll be praying for Maddi and her surgery. I do hope this takes care of that belly pain once and for all.