Hi, my name is Andrea Todd. I have four kids. Have I ever told you that? I am always on the lookout for shortcuts that will make my life easier because I'm a busy wife and mother and, well, I'm lazy. (At least I own it.) And as God is my witness, I will admit to you, dear readers, that I have totally bought into the whole convenience food thing, at least when it comes to fixing school lunches.
If it comes in a prepackaged container, I am on it like ducks on a junebug. Even if a food is allegedly "healthy," I will buy a convenience package over anything I have to slice, dice or otherwise prepare myself. The most effort I want to exert in the morning when I'm packing lunches is in deciding which lunch meat Peyton is LEAST likely to take off her sandwich and throw away. Let me tell you, that can be quite a challenge!
So due to, oh, I don't know, my
So anyway, I wheeled my cart to the checkout line and prepared to wait. Evidently there are a lot of
As I stood in line behind Earth Mother, eyeing all the healthy choices in her cart, her cell phone began to ring. And what follows is her half of a conversation that I was forced to listen to:
"Hey woman! How are you?
"Yeah, I did six miles today. I ran four and walked the last two. I just didn't have it in me today."
"Seriously?! I want to do that! When is it? Down on the Brazos River? Is it one-man or two-man kayak? Seriously, let me know when that is because I will find someone to do it with me. That sounds like so much fun!"
"What's that? Oh, how do I fix my beets? Well, I boil them first to get them soft (not squishy), and then I quarter them (or however big you want them) and saute them in oil and garlic. I like to brown my garlic first. Oh, you'll love them!"
"Well, I told Brody I'd go run with him tomorrow morning, but we could meet up for some tea after that. Okay, great! I'll see you then!"
In all the time this conversation was taking place, I was making a monumental effort to shield my cart's contents from her eyes, while simultaneously poring over every object in hers. And this is the bulk of what I saw: So many different (and unusual) types of produce that the checker had to whip out her little cheat sheet to identify them all; some kind of organic bottled beverage; four (count 'em) FOUR potted plants; and two packets of sunflower seeds (to plant, NOT to eat).
As I stood there feeling like the world's more irresponsible mother, I suddenly came to my senses and realized that I am responsible for the choices that I make and I need to own them, and I cannot allow my joy to be robbed by some overachiever/health nut/show-off. So I straightened myself up, puffed out my chest, took a self-satisfied breath and, with head held high, grabbed my frozen pizzas and marched right on out of there!
1 comment:
Now that is funny. I run into those crazy people too. There is always someone that has to show off like that. I say if people didn't want it and buy it well the store would not carry it. If I were you I would pack lunches as I was cleaning up the kitchen after supper and I would have the kids help. I mean they have to learn sometime so you would be helping them learn a life skill.
love lynn
Post a Comment