
What is your reaction when you see one of those Salvation Army volunteers with their shiny red bucket and clanging bell outside your local Wal-mart or favorite grocery store? I don't want to sound like an insufferable do-gooder, but my instinct is to lunge for my wallet and have a dollar bill tucked in my palm before I set foot out of my car. I'm like Pavlov's dog--every time I hear that bell jingle I get the irresistible urge to give away my money. It doesn't even matter if I've just come from Wal-mart, where I dropped a little something in the bucket, and I'm now driving into the Kroger parking lot, where a dedicated volunteer is standing sentry at the front door. Nope--I've got to donate here, too. I mean, how does this guy or gal supposed to know that I just emptied my change purse only a mile or so away? (This is the price I pay for worrying too much about what others think.)
The worst of it is, the last three times I've been to Kroger/Wal-mart I have had absolutely NOTHING in my wallet. No change, no bills, zip. I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day when he passes the beggar on the street--"I'll catch you tomorrow." And I feel like a louse walking out with my cart full of possessions, but not a drop in the bucket (pun intended). Do you suppose they take checks?
So what about it? Do you feel compelled to contribute every time you pass a bucket? Do you feel guilty if you don't? Do you even care?
2 comments:
I give to 1 a day. So where ever I am that has a bucket first is the one I give to and the rest will have to wait there turn. I don't know if you know it but the bell ringer is an hourly paid person these days.Don't get me wrong I think this organization is a great one. But you can only give to so many.
Lynn
I'm right there with ya. We're a check card carrying family, so I rarely have cash. So, of course going into Walmart, the ringer and I both know I'm about to drop a load in there. And I am old school, fire & brimstone, Church of Christ GUILT ridden for not dropping anything into the bucket. With that guilt, the usual procedure is as follows: I avoid eye contact, though I can feel the said ringer's eyes boring into my purse, look at my watch or my cell phone and increase my pace.
Of course, if it is one of those days where I've had money, I drop it into the bucket and can literally hear angels singing and cheering me on. Am I mental?
Post a Comment