Friday, May 1, 2009

It Never Gets Old

Yesterday we gleefully found ourselves with that rare animal, a free evening, on our hands due to the cancellation of Tyler's baseball game. Since "family time" is an in-demand commodity right now, we elected to load up the van and take the kids to the dollar movie (for those of you who are interested, Paul Blart: Mall Cop and yes, totally worth the $6).

On the drive over, Sawyer and Tyler occupied the back seat and they did what they normally do on car trips: played silly games and in general made a lot of noise. I am so accustomed to the din that I don't usually pay it any mind, so it's always a bit surprising for me to be driving along, subconsciously aware but unconcerned with the commotion in the far back, and then to hear Tyler randomly say, "I love you, Sawyer." I never fail to wonder what it is that Sawyer does that prompts such a declaration from his twelve-year-old brother.

When the movie was over and we filed out to the van, Darcy occupied the back spot with Sawyer and they commenced to doing what they typically do on car trips: cackled hysterically and in general made a lot of noise. (Can anyone tell me the GCF?!) And as we motored toward Arlington and I listened to the goings-on in the back with a latent ear, I heard Darcy chortle for the umpteenth time and then she said, "I love you, Sawyer."

Nope, it never gets old.

No comments: