Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thanks For the Memories

So have you been following 48-year-old Scottish singing phenom Susan Boyle in her quest to sing for the Queen on behalf of Britain's Got Talent? I, like 100,000,000 You Tube viewers, have been waiting anxiously for the next round in the reality show to see if Susan Boyle was a fluke, a flash-in-the-pan if you will, if I merely dreamed she had that stunning, angelic voice I remembered or if she was, in fact, worthy of the millions of mouse clicks she has garnered.

Click here to watch her semi-final performance of "Memories" from the Broadway musical Cats and decide for yourself. Go ahead, I'll wait . . . .

As for me . . . sing on, Susan, sing on!! I hope you've watched the clip now because I don't want to spoil the moment, but the greatest part of her performance, to me, comes about three seconds after she opens her mouth to sing. She looks a little nervous, a little uneasy, not wearing the "cheeky grin" that one of the judges accused her of having in her first performance. And when she starts to sing, the first two notes out of her mouth sound, well, "pitchy," to coin a phrase from American Idol. But then the neatest thing happens. In what looks to me like an attempt to calm her nerves, she simply puts her hand on her diaphragm and then . . . there it is! The voice we've all come to know and love!!

Seriously, watch the clip when you're feeling down; I guarantee her voice will lift your spirits right up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you. I will buy her CD. Did you see the early clip of her singing at age 22 ? It is on youtube . She has finally gotten her chance.

Love to all
Lynn