Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm

Vacation Bible School is upon us. AVALANCHE RANCH begins tonight and the church building has been transformed into an old cowtown. This morning as I sat looking at the decorations adorning the front of the auditorium, I realized that the boys have a couple of cowboy hats that would look perfect perched on the hitching post, and in truth Sawyer has a kid-sized stuffed pony that would be the perfect addition to the decor, but I fear that it might get torn up by an angry mob (read: 3rd, 4th and 5th graders) so I think I'll let him be. (Hey Dad, is it just me or does this look just like Brian at that age???)

 
Posted by Picasa


I'm in the midst of making four dozen Break 'n Bake cookies (hey, nothing's too good for our little darlings!) and boy, does the house smell heavenly! Anybody who thinks a cake batter-scented candle is absurd obviously doesn't like to bake! (Cake batter/cookie dough = same diff.)

Have you gathered that I really have nothing to say this afternoon? Oh, I can give you a quick update on our first day of school following the change in schedule . . . it was great! Actually, the schedule sort of came together in a natural way; indeed, last year I attempted to force the sort of schedule that just sort of "happened" on Thursday, and sometimes it worked but oftentimes it didn't. I will elaborate (I know you're just so excited . . .):

Sawyer slept in until about 9:30 Thursday morning and rather than me being the one to go open his door when he was ready ("Mo-o-o-o-m! Hey Mo-o-o-o-o-om!"), Darcy elected to do the honors. Now on a typical day I go in, pretend to stalk Sawyer under his covers, attack, and then commence to help him get dressed. On THIS day, however, since Darcy was the designated greeter, she went in Sawyer's room and they immediately began playing with his Legos. Judging from the sounds coming from his room I could tell that he wouldn't be down for breakfast anytime soon, so I grabbed Peyton and suggested that we go ahead and begin her schoolwork. And even though Peyton has to be reminded 400 times to sit down and focus (I seriously think she has selective Attention Deficit Disorder), she is always up for schoolwork! She was able to complete all of her independent schoolwork prior to lunch and what was even better, because Darcy and Sawyer (and eventually Tyler) were happily ensconced in Sawyer's room, I was able to spend plenty of one-on-one time with Peyton, without someone else repeatedly interrupting or vying for my attention.

I have probably said this before, but in the past Peyton has definitely gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to my attention during school hours. I have always felt pressure to focus more heavily on Darcy and Tyler (especially last year) because their work was more time-consuming, but Peyton's day has finally arrived! Just think, pretty soon she'll be joining her older brother and sister in their lament, "It's time for school already?!"

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

That cowboy looks like Carson did on the mechanical horse during our 2006 Dallas visit. Ah, those handsome Hackney guys.
Peyton may surprise you, Andrea, with all she has already learned just being in the presence of the schooling you've done for Tyler and Darcy. Or maybe osmosis isn't a factor here.

Anonymous said...

Actually Andrea, there may be some similarities, but I don't see Brian at that age in Sawyer. Sawyer looks like Sawyer. He's his own person. Yes, he has some Hackney resemblance, but mostly, he looks like Sawyer.

Maybe for you, his actions and personality remind you of Brian. I know that Brian's main job in life was to try and make you laugh. Is that Sawyer?

I'm glad to see that Peyton is getting her time with Mom.