Monday, July 23, 2007

Day One's in the Books

Man, what a day. I love homeschooling but this was one of those days where I felt like one of those jugglers who balances the china dishes on top of sticks or straws or whatever those things are--you know what I mean. Granted, it was our first official day of school and I wanted to start this early so that I would have time to figure out what to do when, and today I saw LOTS of room for improvement! If I could just clone myself, all my problems would be solved.

We finished quite late today because "Grandma" Phyllis called around 1:00 and asked if she could "hire" Tyler, Darcy and Peyton to do some work for her and I was only too eager for them to pay her back just a little for all she's done for them (and us) over the years. Phyllis is preparing for a move and is planning to have a yard sale this weekend, and she needed help sorting through 31 years' worth of accumulated stuff. Phyllis CLAIMS that the kids were extremely helpful but it sure didn't take them very long! I think she said they were done in a little over an hour and then she gave each of them an ice cream cone and took them to the park. I'm sure they'll be all too willing to help out should she want to hire them for another job! They didn't get back home until after 4:00, I believe, so we squeezed in a bit more work while I prepared dinner, and Randy finished Chapter One in their Read-Aloud (Moccasin Trail) for me before the kids went to bed.

One of our older members who has been suffering with cancer for quite some time passed away Saturday and Randy and I have been asked to sing at the funeral. Not just the two of us; there's a group of about twelve at Southwestern that can usually be counted on for this service. We are supposed to meet for rehearsal tomorrow afternoon but something is totally up with my voice. I don't know if laryngitis is in my future but I noticed over the weekend that my voice was kind of coming and going. The funeral isn't until Wednesday so hopefully I'll be good to go by then.

Well, lesson plans await. Sorry this entry is so bland--I'll try to do better next time!

No comments: