Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Just a Suggestion

I won't start blogging after every school day, I promise, but sometimes it helps me to think things through by writing about them. Today was Day Two and I can't say that it went much better than the first! Well, the afternoon was okay, but the morning was CHAOS!

I certainly don't think Sawyer is the cause of all the chaos or the reason that things haven't run very smoothly these last two days, but I must admit it is amazing how quiet things get when he goes to his room for Rest Time. It's not just that he's not around to talk or disrupt, either; Tyler, Darcy and Peyton are also guilty of taking just about any opportunity to get in on his games if they should catch sight of him! What can I say? Sawyer is a popular little boy!

Here's the latest suggestion that I'm mulling over: This afternoon when Sawyer retired to his room, we finished the balance of our school work and I couldn't help but think, "Why don't I give the kids the morning off and do school in the afternoon, instead of the other way around?" There are only two obvious hitches in my plan that I can see from the start: #1 Even when we begin school bright and early in the morning, with three students we still end up working sometimes as late as 3:00 or 3:30, so if we don't start until, say, 12:30 or 1:00, even Sawyer-less, will we be able to finish before suppertime? And #2 In the past the kids have proven to be pretty sluggish after lunch (which is normal), but I wonder if they would feel quite so sluggish if they've had all morning to pursue their respective interests; I wonder, indeed, if they might not be MORE productive if they're not eyeing the clock and hoping to get finished so they may have the afternoon off.

Comments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SCHOOL?!!!
Andrea, it's not even the 1st of August you slave driver.

I'll be interested to hear the results of your trying the "Sawyerless" time for starting the school day.

And I'm glad to hear that Sawyer is truly normal regarding his antics during the funeral. Sounds entirely normal to me.