I need 'em. Another pair of eyes, that is. They would have come in handy at the funeral today! How can one little boy be so ornery while still remaining absolutely silent??! Let me preface my remarks by saying that while the singers rehearsed at the church building last night, Sawyer was an ANGEL. While the other three chose to go in a classroom and draw on the chalkboard, Sawyer, surprisingly, opted to stay in the Fellowship Room with us. We all stood in a little clump at the front of the room and Sawyer took a seat at the table, popped his thumb in his mouth (yeah, he started sucking it again), and stayed that way for 45 minutes.
Not to sound haughty or anything, but the last time I had to remove Sawyer from an assembly for being a distraction was easily over three years ago (he'll be four in October so you do the math), so I really had no "Plan B" should the need arise today. I simply didn't feel it was necessary. Indeed, when we arrived at the funeral home the singers all trooped in to a room off to the side, and my kids filed in and took a seat on the couch. What a sweet picture they made, sitting there like little ducks in a row, Tyler with one arm around Sawyer, pulling him tightly to his side and kissing his head from time to time. (Tyler's going to be an AWESOME dad, in case I haven't mentioned it.) I couldn't help but notice again how grown up Darcy is looking; she had her legs crossed and had her hands clasped on her knee--she looked like quite the young lady.
After rehearsing our songs one final time, we proceeded into the room where the body of the deceased had been placed and the singers were directed to an area at the back of the room that had been set aside for us. There were four chairs directly behind the spot where I was to stand, so I motioned for the kids to have a seat there. From that point on, this is where those eyes could have been useful. There was no sound, but that sense that most moms have kept nudging me, and I would turn around to find Sawyer making a funny face at Peyton, or stretched out with his head in her lap, or wearing his sandals on his hands and clearly singing a song in his head . . . you get the idea. I suppose he'd heard us sing our songs so many times in the last two days, they had lost all appeal for him!
Tyler, Darcy and Peyton opted to go to the cemetery with Randy when the funeral was concluded, but I declined. Sawyer and I swung by Sonic--did I mention that Grove City finally got a SONIC???!!!--where I got my customary Route 44 Cherry Limeade, and Sawyer decided to try a Sonic Blast. Unfortunately, those things don't come kid-sized so he ate about one-sixth of it and the rest is in our freezer at home. On the drive home, Sawyer started talking about robots and asked if robots have names, and I told him that some do and some don't. He said his robot's name was going to be Sonic Blast and I was like, "Hey, wouldn't that be a great name for a superhero?!" Sonic Blast--c'mon, it works!
After we got home and unwound for a few moments, Sawyer said, "Mom, don't you think it should be Quiet Time now?" Kid, are you joking?! I'm not going to say 'no' to that! So here I am in a totally quiet house and I've got my blog updated . . . what should I do next?! The sky's the limit!
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kids will be kids! Or, more appropriately, boys will be boys! Reading about Sawyer wearing his sandals on his feet reminds of a great story I hear about Hal (Hal, Jane, and Mitch like to tell the story).
Post a Comment