Quick update on my computer issues: I think I mentioned that Randy bought a wireless router for our home and a card for my computer, so as we speak he is reclining on the bed watching a basketball game on HIS laptop, and I am sitting next to him typing this blog entry on MY laptop. Aren't we the yuppies??!
What a pain it was to get to this point, though. No sooner had Randy brought all the paraphernalia home than he discovered that the wireless card Best Buy had sold him was no good. He bought a new one the next day and did a little more tinkering, and finally presented me with a laptop that was truly portable! And it was GREAT--for about two hours, after which time my laptop flatly refused to function. I would punch the power button, the motor would make a "whooshing" sound, and then it would go silent again. Randy determined that the battery had just gone bad.
Now to say I am technologically challenged is putting it mildly, so I did not feel qualified to tell Randy that I thought he was completely cracked. But hello? You do all this puttering around on the laptop and bring it up to code and suddenly the battery dies? That's just a little too coincidental if you ask me. But since this story is so painfully boring, I will not draw it out any further except to say that after ordering a new battery off eBay and waiting several days for it to arrive, only to discover that it would not power my laptop so Randy declared that it, too, must be "dead," I expressed my skepticism. So Randy went to some forum and did a search on the problem, and it turns out that the battery had NEVER been the culprit. No! You don't say! Turns out the RAM had to be reseated . . . and that's where he lost me. But he popped out the RAM, stuck it back in and . . . voila! Good as new--and wireless!
Okay, I am typing this post at approximately 11:00 p.m. Friday night but I am going to try this experiment again. I am changing the post date to 3/15 and the time to 12:01 a.m., simply because I have to know if it works. Call me inquisitive. Or just dumb. Dumb works too.
Updated to add: Nope. Doesn't work.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What I'm reading says you posted this at 12:01 AM on Mar 15, 2008, so what didn't work?
MM
If you had been reading my blog at 11:00 last night you would have seen that it posted my entry right then (on the 14th at 11:00 p.m.), even though I changed the date to the 15th at one minute after midnight. Does that make sense? I have seen other bloggers who "Autopost" entries, which I have always assumed meant they had several entries ready to go (like when they go on vacation or something), and they post-date the entries so that a different one will appear each day. I was trying to see if I could do that but evidently I can't. When I hit "Publish," no matter what the date or time, the entry appears. Or at least it did on my end!
Gotcha!
Post a Comment