My lifelong friends Joy and Jayson were passing through town yesterday on their way to Tulsa, so we made plans to meet at a Starbucks that was conveniently located between us (and honestly, given the glut of Starbucks in every city in America, how could there NOT be one conveniently located between us? Score one for Joy for her good old common sense!). We'd had some pretty nasty weather all day on the 6th and the kids were praying fervently for a snow day (which my niece and two nephews were treated to, given that they got about 6" in Argyle), but alas, when we arose on Friday all was crisp and clear and bright--but no snow. (Don't tell my kids that I was praying for just the opposite; and while we're on the subject, do you suppose that means my prayers carry just a little more weight with God? Hmmm--ha ha!)
Randy, in all his brilliance, had made a contingency plan in the event of no snow--he told the kids on Thursday night that if they did indeed have to go to school on Friday, he would take them to get a donut before dropping them off. You would have thought they were going to Six Flags on a field trip! Seriously, are my kids THAT turned on by a sweet, deep-fried piece of dough that may or may not be topped by a delicious glaze or powder, or filled with a delectable cream or jelly? Hey, I wonder where the nearest Krispy Kreme is? No, I'm kidding, I don't even like donuts. But my kids sure do!
My point is, we ALL left the house in various stages of bliss Friday morning--the kids, off to be pumped full of fat and sugar, and me, off to see my good friends whom I had not seen once in the previous fourteen years (but who's counting?)! And my visit with Joy and Jayson was indeed blissful; they haven't changed a bit and we talked as though we see each other all the time. The visit was just too short, that's all there is to it.
When it was time to part, Joy and Jayson headed toward Tulsa and I headed toward my favorite place on earth--the hair salon!!! Come on, admit it--when you have a good hair stylist there's no better place to be than in the salon getting a fresh cut, am I right? And I do have to thank my friend Mary Jo for putting me on to my current stylist--she is awesome! So as you can see, I was having a pretty good day, right? And it just kept getting better! Two of my best guys (that would be Randy and Sawyer) surprised me by meeting me in the parking lot of the salon as I was coming out, and suggesting that we pop over to Spring Creek for some barbecue. Well, you don't have to ask ME twice! What a treat! Especially since I'd had no breakfast AND I'd let my hot chocolate from Starbucks get cold while visiting w/J & J--let's just say I was running on empty!
(I should mention that what really brought Randy and Sawyer over to my salon's part of town was the fact that Randy had finally finished researching which wireless router to buy for our home computing needs, and the Best Buy on S. Cooper had it. That is going to be important a little later in our story.)
After a delicious lunch of barbecued beef, potato salad, fried okra, corn on the cob and big, fat yeast rolls (extra butter for Sawyer, thank you very much), we headed back out into the bright, beautiful sunshine (seriously, could Texas weather BE any better in the winter??) and noticed that there was a Rooms To Go furniture store right next door. Being in the market for a small breakfast/bistro table as well as a sofa and a couple of chairs, we decided to pop in for a quick look. As usual, Randy and quickly discovered that we have two TOTALLY different ideas in mind for what kind of table needs to go in our "breakfast nook," which means of course that we will end up getting whatever Randy picks out. And that's fine--he is the better decorator, and I am big enough to admit it!
By the time we'd extracted Sawyer off of the tenth sofa he'd
In the meantime, Randy and Sawyer came home and Randy set to work installing the software and plugging in the hardware that would make us a wireless, networked force to be reckoned with! Okay, I exaggerate. But still, when all was said and done, more than one person would be able to access the Internet at the same time and honestly, isn't that what life is all about? So Randy sat in his chair and waited for the installation to be completed . . . and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. 'Round about 10:30 last night he finally decided the madness had to end and he shut off "my" laptop (which used to be HIS laptop, but of course, now he has nice NEW laptop that came with a wireless card already installed so HE'S good to go!)
Where's the justice in that?!
5 comments:
This "drama" made me want to CRY.
MM
Which part?
Sorry, that comment was in response to today's blog. Don't know how I managed to put it on this one!
MM
I figured that was the case but wanted to make sure. I doubted you were all that torn up about our computer troubles! Peyton, on the other hand, holds a special place in your heart, doesn't she?
YES! As do you, Randy and the rest of your children!!!!!
MM
Post a Comment