Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Supertunia

I got a beautiful petunia hybrid from our Craft Fair back in April. It has a place of honor at the top of our driveway where it can be seen from the road (sort of) but more importantly, where it can be seen by me when I open the blinds in the breakfast nook. It has exploded over the last few months with gorgeous blooms and fluffy foliage, and I absolutely adore the fact that I have managed not just to keep it alive, but have done my part in helping it to thrive.

My conundrum: On every part of the plant that the sun touches, it responds positively. (Of course, a little water goes a long way, too, in this scorching Texas heat!) But around back where the sun's rays do not penetrate, the plant looks positively peaked. The foliage is dry--nay, it is parched--even though I water it faithfully (not to mention evenly). As best I can tell, the lack of sunlight has not done my Supertunia's backside any favors.

Randy has suggested rotating the plant toward the sunlight for a few days, and even went so far as to do that very thing without my knowledge, but the first time I looked out and saw the plant with its withered tendrils facing out I was horrified and I rushed to hide the ugly truth.

Before (in April--look how tiny it was!):


Today, front view:


Back view:


See what I mean?


My question, then, is this. Does it matter? Should I care? Is it important for all sides of my Supertunia to be equally healthy, even if the ONLY time I look at the offending side is when I am watering it? I do NOT have a green thumb to speak of, which is perhaps why I am so tickled that the Supertunia seems to be defying the odds; but I wonder if, contrary to all appearances, the overall health of the plant might eventually be compromised if part of the plant is allowed to wither in such a way. Any advice or gardening tips for this novice? And please don't tell me to face it toward the sun--I don't think I could bear the humiliation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well I think you should just leave it alone. No one sees the back but you. So who cares. You got it, no one. It will be gone it a stort time anyway.You will have the winter to read up on plants and start again next year.