Thursday, February 1, 2007

Peace, Perfect Peace

Every once in a blue moon Randy will take all four kids to the movies or someplace intellectually stimulating like that (!) and give me some time to myself. Guess what time it is??!!! It's Mom Time! You did notice the title of my entry, didn't you? That alone should have been a huge tip-off!

Okay, as though I need one more thing competing for my time . . . a friend pointed me to the COOLEST website I've seen (so far) for cataloguing my home library! It's called LibraryThing and it is awesome. It is partnered with Amazon and the Library of Congress so the database is extensive, understandably; rarely do I have to manually enter a title. I already have 158 books entered in my online "library," and that's just from four little shelves! Four down, twenty to go!

Today was Day One of registration for Spring baseball through our Parks and Rec department. Assuming we are still living here in May, Tyler will play for his fourth summer. Darcy has waffled ever since last summer over whether to play baseball or softball. I don't know how parents with kids in more than one sport manage. I looked in the Frequently Asked Questions brochure that the secretary gave me and noted that if both Tyler AND Darcy play baseball through Parks and Rec, we would be at the ball field on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm all for equality--that is, why shouldn't Darcy be allowed to play a sport if Tyler is allowed to play a sport (especially since we're on a break from gymnastics)? However, I feel I must draw the line somewhere! What kind of a life would that be, having to be at the ball field four nights a week, even if it is only for three months (four if you count practices, four-and-a-half if you count the play-offs)? I just can't get behind it.

I don't think Darcy really wants to play baseball anyway. I think she likes the IDEA of baseball. She said herself that she'd probably rather play softball because if she signs up through GCKA (Grove City Kids Association), I think there are actually all-girl softball teams, which is her preference. If she plays baseball through the Parks and Rec department, she will undoubtedly be the only girl on the team. Interestingly, Tyler has had one girl on each of the last three teams he has played on.





Sawyer is going to be ready for school in no time. When I'm teaching ("lecturing," my kids might say!), I'm not always sure when he's listening and when he's in his own world. (If he's looking at a construction book, you can bet he's in the zone and doesn't hear a word I say!) But the other day Tyler, Darcy, Peyton and I were talking about how it's sort of amazing that the colonial army was able to best the British army when it was hard to know just how many militiamen were going to actually show up from one battle to the next! I asked the kids if they knew what the word "desertion" meant and Sawyer, who had until this point been wrapped up in his bulldozer book, practically flew off the couch shouting, "Ooh, ooh, I know! I know! Alligators, snakes and crocodiles!" That's his answer for everything. Well, that or "bulldozers, loaders and dump trucks!" His Bible class teacher said that last week he stood up and said, "Class, look at me. Now listen . . . ." And he proceeded to go into a story about sharks, crocodiles and snakes. Is it odd for a three-year-old to already know what he wants to do with his life? If he could get a job driving a crane that picked up stray crocodiles and dropped them into a swamp, he would be set for life!



No comments: