Sunday, May 20, 2007

All Over But the Shoutin'

Well, the big 50th anniversary celebration/"Homecoming" weekend at Southwestern has come and gone, and all in all I'd say it was a lot of fun. To be honest, Homecoming is never that big a deal for me because most of the people who attend from year to year were members before our time. But because it was SW's 50th anniversary, we had a "meet-and-greet" time yesterday afternoon from 4:00 to around 6:30, and then two music groups had a concert (the groups being comprised of present and former members). Sawyer and I did not stay for the concerts as I had a boatload of deviled eggs to make for the potluck the next day (which is actually today) and still had to make a run to Wal-mart, but we did take advantage of the various sandwiches, salads and other tasty treats that were being served and I was able to avoid cooking dinner!

Each LIFE Group was assigned a particular dish to bring to the potluck today, and because we just started a new LIFE Group two months ago we were exempt, I suppose--all I know is nobody contacted us to bring anything! So a friend from another group asked to borrow my deviled egg trays and I just offered to bring some myself. I was sure I was going to wind up bringing my two dozen eggs back home when I saw how many we had altogether, but--miracle of miracles!--there were NONE left. Hallelujah!

We got home around 2:30 (or maybe it was closer to 3:00) and I worked what had to be the easiest crossword puzzle in the history of the Columbus Dispatch, and then Tyler and I began brainstorming how we should spend the rest of our day since we cancelled evening services. I pointed out that we hadn't been to the dollar theater in at least a month so we loaded up and caught the 4:45 showing of The Bridge to Terabithia. I can't really comment on it because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it was a very good movie and I'm willing to bet the book is even better. We did need tissue, but that's the closest I'm going to get to posting a spoiler!

***********************************************************
If I'm not mistaken, I posted a story in my last entry about Sawyer telling me to "trust him." That is evidently his new phrase of choice because he used it on me again yesterday. When we were on our way to Wal-mart, we saw two big trucks up ahead and Sawyer said, "Mom, will you make those trucks get behind us?" I said, "Sawyer, I can't make them get behind me; they're way too far ahead of us." He replied, "Sure you can, Mom, it's easy, just trust me." And wouldn't you know, we stopped at a red light, and after it turned green and the trucks lumbered through it, I was well ahead of them and Sawyer said, "See, Mom, I knew you could do it." Gotta love that positive reinforcement!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Deviled eggs are always a favorite at potlucks, so I'm not surprised none were left over, Andrea. Ahh, Sawyer, and the power of positive thinking.