No, not THAT itch. Peyton turned seven yesterday and the only thing she was itching to do for her birthday was to get her ears pierced. Et voila!
Anyone who has had his/her ears pierced probably knows (well, I guess it depends on your age) that ear-piercing methods have evolved through the years. While I went the masochistic route when I was Peyton's age (self-piercing earring and an ice cube), nowadays you essentially submit to being shot in the ear (or other preferred body part) by a high-powered "gun" that is loaded, not with a bullet, but with a very tiny yet deceptively sharp and pointy stud.
I was just recalling that when Darcy had her ears pierced about two years ago for the second time, there were two employees in the store at the time and they each brandished a gun, so for her the torture was mercifully brief. Thus, she was full of reassurance for Peyton--"Oh, it won't hurt a bit."
Here's the thing about Peyton: She does not blink over immunizations or, oh, getting 19 stitches to close up her forehead, oh no . . . but she will wail over a paper cut. No, that's not really true . . . but it's almost true. Anyway, I sort of likened the ear-piercing experience, in my mind, to the whole immunization process and I figured Peyton wouldn't be fazed a bit. And I was right, for the most part, except that instead of the blood draining from Peyton's face when she felt the first stab of pain in her right ear lobe (and to be fair, the technician's gun seemed to be operating in slow motion), her face turned a deep shade of red and she just had this look. She's so cute, though--she told me afterwards that although it really DID hurt, "I just sucked it up, Mom." That's my girl!
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Peyton does look cute with her newly pierced ears. And it seems that Peyton takes after her Grampa when it comes to pain management. I've always been able to get shots without flinching, even when they warn me "that these are worse than normal shots." I barely flinched when I got a cortisone shot in my hand for a "trigger finger". That one brought tears to my eyes, but I "sucked it up" as Peyton did. But paper cuts, man, I really hate those. They bother me worse than most anything else.
Glad you got your tickets to Wicked. We checked on them here in Denver and they cost more than seeing it in NYC. We're going to New York over Memorial Day and we have tickets to Wicked and Mama Mia. We're trying now to decide which tour to take to maximize our time there.
Loved the pics at the zoo and the one of Tyler ferrying the others in the bikeshaw. Go Tyler!
You look so pretty with your earrings, Peyton! You were so brave to have this done.
Post a Comment