Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How Does She DO That?!

Well, she went and did it--again. Peyton had me in tears--again. Now I know that most of you think, "Well, you cry at everything!" Yeah, you got me there. But put that knowledge aside for a moment and just stay with me.

I've blogged previously about Peyton's unwillingness to sleep in her room by herself (that is, when Darcy is absent) and though I could put my foot down and insist that she suck it up and act like a "big girl," frankly, why should I? What is she hurting?

But now she's pulling out the big guns. Now she won't even take a shower by herself! Here's the back story: For those of you who want every tiny detail (all two of you), the girls typically shower three times a week: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights. On Saturday night I half expected Peyton to be a little moody, what with Darcy's departure still fresh on Peyton's mind, so I cheerfully kept her company while she carried out her routine. Still, I couldn't help but get a little misty-eyed when Peyton explained to me why she couldn't take a shower alone. She started out very tentatively, speaking almost in a whisper and I could tell she was making an effort not to cry, an effort at which she was ultimately unsuccessful. There is something about the sight of Peyton in real pain (unlike the pain she professes when she gets into a skirmish with her four-year-old brother) that just tears me up inside, and I want to do whatever I can to make it all better--that's what moms are for, right?

So last night shower time rolled around again. I should state for the record that Peyton, Sawyer and I have had a fantastic week (well, except for when Peyton got sick--that wasn't so fun) so it was with no reservations that I sent Peyton on her way to get herself scrubbed and polished while I put Sawyer to bed. And at first I thought I'd been successful, but in just a few moments she was in Sawyer's room, fully clothed and looking for all appearances as though she intended to remain that way.

Now when I'm getting Sawyer ready for bed I don't like interruptions. I feel like it takes forever as it is, what with the whole "hug-kiss-shoe-spank" routine that he insists on going through (it's a long story--I'll tell you about it sometime). If anybody comes in while he's getting ready for bed, then they have to be included in the "hug-kiss-shoe-spank" loop. Consequently, ALL the kids manage to find their way into Sawyer's bedroom every night, because who wants to miss out on a hug-kiss-shoe-spank? I mean, really!

Anyway, when Peyton came in and I saw that she was still wearing her shirt and $4 blue jeans (I just can't let it go!), I asked rather brusquely, "Why aren't you in the shower?" And oh--those eyes. Don't look into the eyes, whatever you do! To look into Peyton's eyes when she's hurting is to make all kinds of promises you can never keep! Turns out that shower time just reminds her of how much she misses Darcy, and it seems that she misses Darcy an awful lot! I was really surprised by the level of emotion she displayed and, trust me, Peyton is not that good of an actress! Her pain became my pain, and suddenly there we were, sobbing on each other's shoulders. We are pathetic, aren't we?

After Peyton had gone to bed, I couldn't help but think about how close their bond is, and I believe Darcy feels the same way. For all her blustering about wanting her own room, this is twice now in as many months that she has been away from Peyton for at least a night (the first was Bible Bowl weekend), and when she has been informed of Peyton's emotional state, it has touched Darcy's heart and made her hurt for Peyton too. The bond of sisters--it's a good thing.

No comments: