Well, they made it. They're home, and from another country, no less! Why is it that we don't tend to think of Canada as a whole other country? Or maybe it's just me. Perhaps it's from all the trips I took to the Falls when my parents used to reside in Rochester, New York; anytime we had visitors from out of town, the Falls were the sightseeing destination of choice for all concerned. Thus, I came to view Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side (the best side by far), as "that place up the road." And considering the fact that Rochester and Columbus aren't that far from one another (and yes, I know, near and far are relative terms), Canada seems, to me, to be "that place just a little further up the road." But I'm rambling . . .
Randy called me from the road yesterday afternoon around 2:00 p.m. and I knew immediately that something was up. "What's the plan for dinner tonight?" I thought it an odd question to ask after being out of the country for six days (see, I use that to my advantage when I need to), but I dutifully gave him a run-down of what we had in the house and what his choices were. He pressed on: "Well, do we have any plans tonight?" Okay, the jig was up. I could see where he was going with this line of questioning, and I do so wish he would just spit it out sometimes! I said, "Well, honey, we have been sitting here anxiously awaiting your return from another country (see how I do that?) so I don't really have anything else on the agenda for the evening."
Turns out Randy wanted us (Peyton, Sawyer and myself) to meet them (Tyler, Darcy and him) at the dollar movie, which seemed a little unusual to me, given the fact that they had been, you know, out of the country for the last six days. (Okay, I'll stop now.) I mentioned this to Randy but he said, "Well, I just thought we could celebrate by going and doing something that we all like to do as a family." Can't argue with that! So guess what we took our whole motley crew to see? HAIRSPRAY! And boy, was it fun!
Hairspray has a soundtrack full of catchy tunes and had plenty of engaging performances and humor to spare, so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. For those of you who have seen the film, I am embarrassed to say that I probably laughed the hardest at the scene when Tracy finds her dad in his joke shop, sleeping on a makeshift bed of whoopee cushions. No, scratch that--I did laugh the hardest at that part!
But the best part wasn't the movie; the best part was the ride home after the movie. The boys rode in the car with Dad, while the girls elected to come with me. I'll tell you what, I might as well have been invisible for all they spoke to me. But what was music to my ears was hearing Darcy and Peyton chattering back and forth the entire way home--they never stopped! Laughing, giggling, and talking a mile a minute . . . there is no doubt in my mind Darcy was just as glad to see Peyton as Peyton was to finally have her "roommate" home!
Friday, November 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment