Tuesday, November 20, 2007

This is Why I Don't Have Time to Blog!

There are many, MANY things I am not able to help Randy do in order to get this house ready to sell. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Or what he keeps telling me. Either way, no matter how much I have done, it never feels like enough. Perhaps that is why I agreed to take on the task of filling out the necessary paperwork required to apply for health insurance in Texas. I'll tell you right now, I'd rather poke my eye out with a fork than continue down this path that is certain to lead to my admission to a mental institution!

Health insurance providers are so picky--have you noticed that? After running through the gamut of questions relating to migraines, carpal tunnel syndrome, multiple sclerosis, anorexia, bulimia, bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, depression, chest pains, anemia, heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, varicose veins, elevated cholesterol, asthma, allergies, bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, hernia, gastroesophageal reflux, cirrhosis, hepatitis, cancer, leukemia, acne, psoriasis, kidney stones, urinary incontinence, fibrocystic breast disease, arthritis, bursitis, slipped disc, gout, TMJ, bunions, goiter, diabetes, lupus, cataracts, glaucoma, hearing loss, deviated septum, HIV, AIDS, prostate disorder, herpes, impotence, abnormal pap smear, uterine tumor, ovarian cyst (I'm going to stop now but trust me, the list goes on), I am finally asked the following question: "Has any person applying for coverage been prescribed or taken any medications due to sickness, disease, disorder, condition, injury or counseling in the last 12 months?"

Is this a trick question?

I mean, if I checked "yes" to any one of the myriad disorders/diseases in the preceding list, isn't it a pretty safe bet that I'm going to answer "yes" to that last one??? I know, I know, it's all about the time table. In the big long list, they want to know if anybody has been treated for those things in the past 10 years, while the last question deals with the previous year only. But for crying out loud, heaven forbid you should answer "yes," because then you are required to detail the person affected, the condition, injury, symptom or diagnosis, the date that it started, the date of recovery (if applicable), whether or not recovery is/was complete, as well as the types of treatment, advice given and medications prescribed AND the name, address and phone number of doctors and hospitals, all in the space that is about the length of a candy bar! (Don't ask me how I know that.)

Anyway, the only reason I tell you all this is because I am stalling--I worked on this cursed application for more than an hour last night but there is still much work to do, and I dread it. When you've got four kids, you can bet the farm that there has been medication taken in the last 12 months! And not just by them!

No comments: