As I mentioned in my last post, we headed out to Argyle around 2:30 Friday, not knowing that the Texas Motor Speedway was hosting races all weekend and we were heading into bumper-to-bumper traffic. Coming . . . and going. There's got to be another way to get to Argyle! (Actually, there is, if we want to tack on another 45 minutes. I'll pass. And I'll stop complaining now.)
My brother made his famous chili and grilled hot dogs for the more "discriminating" palates in the group (that would be my girls), and we spent the dinner hour reminiscing over the various scary movies we've seen in our collective years. I think I freaked my brother out just a little when I told him I had a cassette tape with the theme from Halloween that I used to play to help me fall asleep. I think he's always thought I was pretty sane, but now I'm not so sure.
He thinks I'M crazy??
Would you want these people counseling you???
After dinner the kids changed into their costumes and we got ready for the big neighborhood trick-or-treating extravaganza. Apparently every year, a guy hitches up a hay wagon to a tractor and all the kids in the neighborhood climb on and trick-or-treat the 15 or so houses in the vast expanse of land out where my brother and sister-in-law live. It was so fun for me to see this huge cluster of kids running up to each door, and clearly the neighbors look forward to this every year because most were prepared with big bowls of candy AND their cameras. Several adults walked behind the tractor and acted as "spotters," and there was just a really cool community feel to the whole thing. Oh, and the bonus was that every time the kids would climb back on the hay wagon, they would go through their bags and give Randy or me any candy they aren't able to eat, like Snickers with almonds. Score!
The pop star and stage dad
Ghoul
My beautiful girls
Christian and Tyler
I was joking with a girl from church recently, telling her that she needed to teach me how to hold my camera back and take a picture of myself and whoever I want to be in the picture with me. This is what I got when I tried it last night.
By the way, I just thought of something . . . the girl at church that I was talking about is named Jesse, and her dad's name is Jack Leonard. He and Sawyer are big buddies. So last night when we got home from Argyle Sawyer was telling me about the "Jack-o-Leonards" he saw on everyone's porches. Is it just me or is that not hilarious??!
After the kids had visited all the houses in the neighborhood, we went back to one that was located fairly centrally, which was the hub of all other Halloween activity last night. This family was throwing a HUGE party complete with . . . oh, wait, I already told you all that yesterday. I'll just tell you again in pictures.
This was so neat--there were probably 30 or so apples hanging from the trees, and most of the kids couldn't resist trying to snag one. I heard later that our nephew Carson had gone around and taken a bite out of almost every one!
I've almost got it!
Success!
Ow! Right in the kisser!
This was one of the many decorations dotting the spooky backyard
The party was heavy on the 4-foot and under crowd, so after Sawyer had been in the bounce house for a few minutes I told him he needed to come out and make room for other children. His expression tells you what he thought of my suggestion as he flopped down in the grass
After we left the party, everyone but Darcy, Peyton and I headed to the road across the field (I love country directions) and went to the Haunted Garage. I feel haunted enough in my everyday life--I don't need an additional dose! And I knew the girls would have zero interest so they made a convenient excuse for us to head back to the house and chill for a little while.
In this photo, the boys dressed as "Mario" and in the camouflage are next-door neighbors Ricky and James. That's Carson in front of camo-boy, and in back are my niece Chandler (left) and her friend Marissa on the right.
I was not expecting Sawyer to have even the slightest desire to go to the haunted garage so I had already peeled his costume off when he announced he was going. I think they were allowed to go through two at a time so he and Randy experienced it together, and their "hostess" was little Miss Jacie. You can see what Sawyer thought of her!
And last but not least, this photo is not from last night but I had to include it since I didn't have one of Tyler from Trunk or Treat on Sunday night! Here he is with best bud Hunter.

And now, I'm off to eat a Snickers bar!
No comments:
Post a Comment