Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lucky Number 23

You will not believe what happened to me. And in keeping with my personality, I absolutely refuse to tell you without divulging every single detail which led up to, you know, the thing which you will not believe. Because you know me--I can't just cut to the chase, I can't just spit it out, I can't just get on with it; where oh where is the fun in that?? Life is a marathon, people, not a sprint, so I am just going to take my sweet time and savor this moment . . . ahhhh . . . .

Oh all right.

I won something. I suppose you could say I won "someone." But let me back up to the VERY beginning. I just spent some 15 minutes scrolling through my archives trying to find the post where I swore off reading blogs other than my own, but none of the titles jumped out at me. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it when I say that I really did swear them off--'til I got this "new" laptop. See, the software on my desktop computer was pretty outdated, and when my friend Jonathan told me about an easy way to keep up with blog content without physically clicking on each and every blog I tried to configure my reader appropriately, but I guess my version was too old.

By contrast, everything works great on my laptop so just last week I decided to add several RSS feeds to my reader, feeds that I had enjoyed in the past but couldn't keep up with due to, well, having a life and everything. Boy, does a reader sure save time! No more click, click, clicking on links, only to find that the content is the same as the last 12 times you clicked on them. So everything was going along swimmingly and then, inexplicably, a particular blog popped in my head, a blog that I had not added to my reader. "Hey," I said to myself, "I haven't checked out her blog in a while. She was always good for a laugh. Wonder what she's up to?"

And what do you know? She was having a giveaway! Several of the blogs I discovered through Hearts at Home have developed quite a following in the blogosphere, and companies will give them products to give away in an effort to reach more consumers. This was the first giveaway of the year and I just happened upon it by sheer coincidence! Come on, people, don't you think that's just amazing???! Okay, maybe it's just me. Anyway, all that was required to enter the drawing was to leave a comment--that's it! And "Mr. Random Number Generator" would pick a comment number at random (duh) and the lucky winner would receive . . . BOB! And I, I was the big winner!

Isn't life grand?

Now if I could just convince my kids. And Brennan. Brennan, in fact, seemed to think it would be funny to attach "Bob" to his sister's cell phone and set the timer for one minute. Ooh, the diabolical schemes that eleven-year-olds come up with!

5 comments:

EB said...

Congrats!! Could BOB limit the time I waste on the computer everyday? :)

EB said...

Congrats!! Could BOB limit the time I waste on the computer everyday? :)

Andrea said...

Erin, if you only knew how many comments had to do with that very subject--either limiting the mom's or, in a couple of cases, the dad's time on the computer! We're definitely not the only computer junkies out there!

Kelly said...

OK, maybe it is because I am tried or maybe I am just slow with this kinda of things. I am alway the last to get punchline of jokes. With that said I had to read your blog twice to figure out what you won. You won BOB. LOL. Thanks for a good laugh.

Andrea said...

Hey Kelly--yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what "BOB" stands for! As far as I can tell, the company just thought the name was kinda catchy! It'll be funny to see how this revolutionizes Tyler's XBox-playing: All those times he has told me it takes five minutes to "save a game"--yeah, right! Apparently BOB gives a 60-second warning before shutting off whatever electronic device you're using, and I have a feeling Tyler will be much quicker to save his games once BOB gets involved!!!