Friday, May 16, 2008

The Best and the Brightest

I have kept a lid on this news for a few days now but it occurs to me . . . remember how I used to complain that my kids didn't have anything academic to brag about when they were homeschooled? No stellar test scores, no honor roll . . . you know, stuff like that? Those things didn't exist for us so I was never the one able to call up the grandparents and say, "Guess what So-and-So got on his/her report card?"

Well, all that has changed. Not only are all three of my PCA-ers making straight A's, not only are they all on track to make Honor Roll again this term (and Darcy will most likely make the "President's List" once more, which requires you to have a 94 or above in all academic subjects), but we recently received word that Darcy has been named a Lone Star State Scholar.

What is a Lone Star State Scholar, you ask? According to their website, "Lone Star State Scholars seeks to reward the contributions and efforts of young people in their pursuit for knowledge and a better world. Through honoring today's outstanding youth, Lone Star State Scholars hopes to empower students to make a difference in our society and inspire them to achieve." Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

No, seriously, LSSS is simply an organization that seeks to give kudos to students in grades 3-8 who stand out in their schools, in their churches, and in their communities. For me, the fact that Darcy has been named a Lone Star State Scholar is not what pleases me; it is the fact that her teacher nominated her to begin with. (In fact, if for no other reason than posterity's sake--surely it can't be pride?!--I must note that Tyler meets all the criteria of a Scholar, but his teacher failed to nominate him and that is certainly her prerogative.)

Darcy's teacher happens to be the wife of the headmaster so she was present at Tyler's 5th grade banquet last Friday night. Darcy had just come home with the news that afternoon, so naturally I could not let the opportunity pass to thank Mrs. Newby for Darcy's honor. Mrs. Newby was so kind and gracious, and she essentially said that nominating Darcy for the accolade required no thought or consideration, but that Darcy was an obvious choice. She is particularly impressed with Darcy's writing and, while I think some of her stories sound like something a nine-year-old would write (that's a little humor there in case you missed it--she IS nine, after all), I must admit Darcy's skills do seem pretty advanced for a fourth grader--and the youngest in her class at that.

But enough bragging. We're just pretty proud, that's all. Then again, all of my kids make me proud--but I guess you knew that already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, I was just telling Ed about the kids and the school and their grades and about Darcy. He said well them Andrea did a really good job when she home schooled them didn't she.

Of course we already knew how smart they are. That is great.
Love Lynn