Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Which TomTom Would YOU Want?

Wouldn't you know . . . when I took my little break a few days ago in order to entertain my in-laws, suddenly all sorts of fodder for my blog cropped up, and I think you'll all agree I have been a little short on fodder of late! I have dutifully kept a list of things I want to write about, but I make no guarantees as to the chronology of events (or how long it will take me to get around to writing about everything)!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

According to www.dictionary.com, a tomtom is "a drum of American Indian or Asian origin, commonly played with the hands."


But according to www.tomtom.com, a TomTom is described thusly:

• New stylish design and extra wide 4.3” touchscreen
• Access to the best maps with TomTom Mapshare™
• Easily receive traffic info and make handsfree calls
• Record your own voice directions
• QuickGPS Fix for the best navigation


Now, given that I am, in fact, the mother of two boys, one would have thought the former object would be the cause for much oooh-ing and aaah-ing in the Todd household; yea, verily, ANYTHING that is intended to be pounded with the fists AND makes a lot of noise gets the Todd boys' seal of approval; however, not only am I the mother of two boys, but I am also the mother of two girls, and all four children are, after all, growing up in the Technology Age, which automatically relegates ye olde tomtom to "has-been" status.

Randy gave me the TomTom Go 720 for Mother's Day, and it was greeted with much excitement and anticipation by many others besides myself. And I must say, it has not disappointed. When the kids are in the van with me, I have even taken to purposely making wrong turns (as Peyton says, I "disobey the TomTom") just so we can hear "Mandy" tell us how to get back on track. Alas, the TomTom has also provided one more reason for the kids to fight over who gets to sit in the front seat by Mom!

But in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that the TomTom is not the end-all, be-all GPS device; if it were, it would not only tell me which direction I need to go, but it would also tell me which lane I need to be in. That would have come in handy on Monday afternoon when I drove Randy's parents to the airport and missed the turn-off for their terminal! Randy magnanimously offered that the signage at the airport is ridiculous at best, but let's face it--for a directionally challenged soul such as myself, unless a device is invented that forcibly directs my vehicle in the right direction, I'm still going to make mistakes!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Mother's Day. I am glad you are back. That is a great mother's day gift. Mike has one his work got him because all he does all day is drive. Well when he first got it he was showing me how it worked and the kids loved it. Well Maddi named his Alice. It is nice to know we are not the only weird people to name our GPS.

EB said...

Jonathan gave me a TomTom for valentine's day. It has been the best gift ever. I don't know how people ever moved to a new city before the GPS. By the way, we named her Ursula :)