I suppose the title of my post dates me significantly, as it is a reference to that 1970s television schlocky cornball variety show, Hee Haw, but since I posted an entry back on August 29, 2007 trumpeting my arrival at the ripe old age of 40, I think that cat is pretty much out of the bag, don't you?
Anyway, I was just lying in bed, feeling sorry for myself, when I thought, "Hey, misery loves company, right? Let me share my anguish with all my readers!" Seriously, I am always amazed at how slow I am on the uptake . . . I never seem to know I'm getting sick until I'm flat on my back in bed, shivering uncontrollably. Never mind I spent about three hours wandering around the house last night, muttering, "I feel like I'm going to pass out," and "Something just doesn't feel right," and "I don't think I can hold my head up any longer," you know, minor stuff like that.
Randy finally ushered me to bed around 9:00 p.m., where I commenced the shivering and aching. How does an illness come on so suddenly? I had been completely fine for most of the afternoon! I have no idea what my temp was but I know it shot up pretty quickly, and around 1:30 a.m. I woke up drenched in sweat. I slept pretty well the rest of the night but was awakened by my alarm at 6:45 a.m., feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. And now I have spent the balance of the day wallowing in self-pity, feeling awful and hoping that tomorrow brings about an entirely different result.
The one bright spot in this whole day? With the exception of about an hour that Randy was home this afternoon, I have wallowed ALL BY MYSELF. Alone. No one climbing on top of me in my sickbed (how maudlin does that sound?). No one begging me to read a stack of books taller than he is. No one clamoring to play a game with me.
I should probably clarify--I ordinarily love all those things. I love them to pieces! But not when I'm sick. No, definitely not when I'm sick. So if you assumed that I meant the absence of my children was the one bright spot in my day, you were terribly, horribly mistaken. No, what gives me cause for cheer is that on Sunday, the busiest of all busy days, wonderful, WONDERFUL people at church stepped up and offered to take my kids home with them so that I could convalesce in peace. What a blessing the people at Woodland West are to us! I do believe this is unprecedented. I also believe this is why it normally takes me a week to get over a 24-hour virus! As it is, it's now just a little past the time I started feeling lousy 24 hours ago, and there is just the slightest chance that I'm feeling better. It's sort of hard to say since I'm not up walking around, but a lot of my aches and pains seem to be fading. Here's hoping!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment