Monday, May 19, 2008

Now THAT'S What I'm Talkin' About!

I haven't blogged much about Darcy's softball season, it's true, but in all honesty there really hasn't been anything to say. Apart from her "grand slam" and a single here or a double there, she hasn't seen much action. She typically plays either second or third base but even so, I can only remember one or two times that the ball has come to her--and she made the plays, I'm thankful to say (well, except for that one time when we were experiencing gale force winds and the ball Darcy lobbed to first base fell pitifully short, but who's counting?!)

On Thursday night, she had a game much like every other game. The coach has been pretty reserved about putting in different girls to pitch, probably because he has no idea whether or not they have the talent for it. I mean, Darcy had only one practice before her season started (I think that's right--maybe there were two), and she never even had an opportunity to try out her pitching skills. But back to Thursday night . . . our lead pitcher started us off as usual, and then the coach switched to the other girl that he normally uses. I hesitate to give their names because I don't want anyone to think I'm raking them over the coals, and somehow by letting them remain anonymous I feel better about telling this story. I know, I know . . . whatever.

So Pitcher #2 basically had a complete meltdown before the night was over. She pitched badly--very, very badly--and was completely frustrated. My heart went out to her. She allowed five runs before she could escape the inning, and then she struck out at the plate. That was the last straw. She was done for. And then the coach put her back on the mound! Hoo-boy. Needless to say, when Darcy made her way through the rubble after the game, she said, "I don't think softball is much fun anymore." I hear ya, sister. Then she said, "I think I'm going to ask the coach if I can pitch in the next game." Never mind that in this game, the game with the toasted pitcher, Darcy ALSO struck out--twice. That is unprecedented, I can tell you that right now. In fact, most of the girls just seemed to be having an off game, truth be told.

Before we left the field to get in our van, I caught the coach and said, "Sooo, looks like Darcy needs a little batting practice tomorrow (Friday) night." Coach Germany just laughed and said, "I think everybody needs a little batting practice tomorrow night!" The assistant coach piped up and said, "I think it was her earrings. They were just a little dangly and sort of threw her off." And Coach Germany said, "No! I'll tell you what her problem was. She wasn't wearing her Tinkerbell earrings! I saw her wearing rainbows and I knew we were in trouble. When she's got Tinkerbell I know she's going to do just fine!" I have to say, that is what I have LOVED about this softball season. These dads are so nice and sweet and encouraging, and they don't want the girls to take things too seriously. When I told Darcy what the coach said about her earrings, she just laughed.

Anyway, Friday night rolled around and Randy took Darcy to practice. And when she got home, she was bouncing and bubbling and she said, "Guess what? Coach is going to let me pitch tomorrow!" O-kay. Randy said she actually threw quite a few strikes so he said he felt good about her chances, so I started to feel just the tiniest flicker of anticipation. It was tiny, but it was there.

Saturday afternoon, 4:00 p.m. Darcy was taking some practice swings. Then she decided to try to hit a few. Whiff. Whiff. Whiff. What is going on??? Then Coach Germany ran on to the field, blustering about how it wasn't Darcy, it was the bat she was using. Something about her being fast and the bat she was using being all wrong for her. He handed her another bat and . . . what do you know? It's a hit! How did he do that?

The game started, and we were up to bat first. Darcy batted second? Third? Third, I think. A single or double. I'm telling you, everything starts running together after a while. I know she got a triple in her second at-bat, so I can forget telling you about that later. Anyway, when it was our turn in the field, Pitcher #1 came in as usual so I could relax for a few minutes. But sure enough, in the second inning Darcy came trotting out on the mound and started throwing a few warm-up pitches. Now I will not sit here and say she didn't throw any balls because she did, and I think she probably walked at least two batters, MAYBE three in the two innings she pitched (that's right, I said TWO INNINGS--uh-huh!), but in her two innings she struck out three in the first and two in the second (and for the third out she fielded the ball that was hit to her and threw it cleanly to the first baseman who, miraculously, caught it!

Darcy could certainly stand a little more practice, but I was so proud of the job she did, and guess what else? The Tar Heels won!!!

No comments: