Saturday, August 30, 2008

Can You Feel the Love Tonight?

Wow, guys and gals, thanks for all the well wishes!! I was inundated yesterday with cards, e-mails, blog comments, phone calls and voicemails wishing me a happy birthday. Boy, do I feel special! I really did have a GREAT day, in no small part to all the good vibes I was getting, I'm sure!

I always love when my birthday falls on a Friday; it just has that leisurely, we've-got-all-the-time-in-the-world-because-it's-the-weekend sort of feel to it, you know? Of course, I was up at 6:30 to pack the kids' lunches and drive them to school--yes, I allowed Randy to sleep in on MY birthday--so maybe it wasn't as leisurely as it could have been . . . but you won't hear me complaining--he takes them the other four days of the week!

Believe it or not (and I'm quite sure Randy never expected to see this day coming when he married me sixteen years ago), I don't really want a big deal made out of my birthday anymore. Yes, there was a time when I loved balloons, cake and candles, presents (oooh, presents!); now I have become one of those "birthdays are just another day" kind of people. But that's not to say that I'll throw your gift back in your face should you choose to get me one . . . :-)

To prove what I mean, Randy asked me what my favorite gift was yesterday, and I said, "Definitely lunch." Randy, the sneak, had pre-arranged for some friends from church to meet us at the restaurant that I had chosen several days prior as the place where I wanted to have my birthday meal. We ended up laughing and talking for almost three hours--Pat and Emily, we owe you big-time for keeping Sawyer for us that long when we told you we'd be back by 1:30! And you know, come to think of it, that was a pretty big gift, too, their keeping Sawyer for us so that we could enjoy a conversation that never once heard the words "lightsaber," "clone wars," "droid army" or "Obi-Wan Kenobi" uttered. Rather refreshing, really! We may have to try it again sometime!

No comments: