Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Apple for the Teacher


For the second time in as many weeks, over at my local Kroger store, I have been asked (by teenagers, no less!) if I am a teacher. What's up with that? Understand--I don't mind it one bit; I consider it a great privilege to be mistaken for a purveyor of knowledge. Some might even argue that I am a teacher since I am a homeschooling mom, but "homeschooling mom" just sort of lacks the punch that "teacher" has, in my estimation anyway. For you fellow homeschooling moms reading my blog who take offense at my point of view, let me hasten to say that yes, yes, of course we ARE teachers, we're just terribly overworked and underpaid. Okay, is everybody happy?

Back to my story . . . I honestly don't know what sort of vibe I'm sending out, or what it is about my presence in Kroger that causes kids to think I am a professional educator, but I do find it a bit disconcerting. Tonight the objects of a mistaken assumption were the two teenage boys who bagged my groceries. One of them looked like your typical band geek (that IS still a term of endearment, isn't it?) and the other looked like he could play soccer or maybe run track. They were just as friendly as they could be and we had quite a pleasant conversation that went something like this:

Teen 1: Are you a teacher?
Teen 2: Yeah, you look like a teacher.
Me: Nope, I'm just a mom.
Teen 1: Huh, you just look like a teacher.
Me: Well, I was a homeschooler for a while--maybe that's it.
Teen 2: Oh cool! Wait, you were a homeschooler? You aren't now?
Me: No, not at the moment.
Teen 2: Do you mind if I ask why not? (Why no, I don't mind at all--I wish every teenager were this engaged!)
Me: Well, my two oldest had just gotten to the point that I felt I wasn't providing them with certain things.
Teen 1: Their social skills aren't so great? (What is it with the social skills misconception??!?!)
Me: Actually, my kids have excellent social skills.
Teen 2: So, like, you weren't able to give them what they needed as a mother? (Seriously, am I actually having this conversation with a 16-year-old kid?!)
Me: No, no, no, I'm talking about things like music and sports and . . .
Both teens, in unison: Oh, yeah, of course!

No other explanation necessary.

No comments: