Monday, September 1, 2008

Leapin' Lizards!

It's starting to seem inevitable.

1) The kids are desperate for a pet.
2) 2/3 of the people in our home suffer from pet allergies.
3) We have no money for a pet.
4) There are, however, a plethora of baby geckos that seem to find our home quite charming and cozy.

All we need is a cage and a never-ending supply of crickets.

They almost had me, right up to the part about the crickets. You already know how I feel about roaches; must we really discuss my cricket phobia as well? I mean, seriously, give a girl a break!

The geckos are, dare I say it, sort of starting to grow on me. They're teeny-tiny, after all, and don't give me the impression that they're out for blood. I'm not sure I'd want one slithering around in my bed again (yeah, that's where we found the last one), but the one Randy caught in the living room a couple of minutes ago seemed harmless enough. I wasn't even freaked out when I saw him skittering across the living room floor. And I'm not really sure why Randy went through the charade of catching him in a glass and letting him loose in the backyard; we both know he'll be right back inside when he's good and ready. We might as well name him already.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

Holly said...

We love Geckos too! They take fun rides on our garage door! How about Gary the Gecko for your family pet's name!
I know how you feel about owning a pet. We suffer from pet allergies too. (I'm the worst) Will picked out his very first pet, a orange Beta. We named it Romie, short for Tony Romo.
Romie hasn't made me or anybody else sneeze. Great huh!!!

I just love reading about you and your family!

Andrea said...

Gary the Gecko--what a ring that has to it! Gary hasn't made another appearance since the other night so he's due anytime!

An orange beta--how pretty! And great name, too! We have a 90-gallon fish tank that the kids are eager to get set up now that we've lived in Texas for NINE MONTHS--what are we waiting for??! Yep, for a family with allergies, fish are the way to go!