Sunday, September 7, 2008

Is There a Doctor in the House?

I practiced a little surgery over the weekend. Rest assured no one in my family is any imminent danger--the surgery I performed was slightly less organic. Remember the Supertunia? Let me refresh your memory. This is what it looked like when I got it:

The picture of health, right?



Just a few months later. What's not to love?



And then it all went downhill.



Now picture that--those stringy, scraggly, dried-up vines--ALL OVER.

Let's just say that there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I was beside myself. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of the skankiness that was my Supertunia. What happened to my beautiful plant, other than the fact that I only fertilized it once in five months? It beats all I've ever seen. But then I'm not a gardener per se (ha--that "per se" thrown in there makes it sound like I at least dabble in gardening, which I so don't), so perhaps it's only natural for a plant to rebel against its owner when it doesn't get fed.

I tried valiantly several times to save it, braving hordes of mosquitoes who came out at dusk seemingly for the sole purpose of sucking as much blood from my body that they could, but my attempts were in vain. After exhausting every other option, I did the only thing I could think of:



Surprise!



Now it's a MINItunia! Isn't it cute?! And it looks so healthy! I think perhaps it had just gotten a little full of itself and needed to be taken down a few notches, to be put in its place, so to speak. What did I expect from a plant called a Supertunia, anyway? Talk about attitude!

4 comments:

Jake and Tanya Wilson said...

Look at you and your green thumb! You're not a gardener? Could have fooled me! :o) You should see our lime plant...Leo. We bought him right after we got married, left him outside that winter (it was like 16 degrees outside, and keep in mind this is a Mexican lime... it likes the heat)and we killed it. Blooms fell off and it was all brown and leaf-less. Then one day it just sprouted up again and started growing... it bloomed and then we killed it again. Ha ha. It is still around but refuses to bloom any flowers. So it is just a pretty lime plant to look at... it doesn't produce any limes. :o( Poor Leo.

TerPen said...

Wow, Is that really the same plant? When I saw the picture, I thought your surprise was you bought a new plant! How long will that continue to bloom?
Your plant is a real life example of John 15:2 {He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.} I think your thumb is turning greener by the day!

Andrea said...

Tanya, that is an amazing story--to have your lime just up and start blooming again . . . but I don't guess there are many plants that will survive being killed TWICE! :-) At least it still looks pretty!

Andrea said...

Terri, what an awesome connection you made between my plant and John 15! I rarely make the jump to anything "spiritual" on my blog, as I'm sure you've noticed--I am pretty much parked on the ridiculous and inane facets of my family life--but I must admit as I pruned the dead vines and the plant just perked right up, I thought about how we can put off our old self and become a new creation through Jesus, and how awesome that is!

As for how long my plant will continue to bloom, your guess is as good as mine but one mistake I am NOT going to make again is to fail to rotate Minitunia each day. I'm going to see if I can get this thing to bloom on ALL sides!