Sawyer had a terrible night last night. Which means, of course, that I had a terrible night last night. Crying, itching, begging, flailing, "Just please make it stop!" Compounding matters is the fact that I have a head cold and have felt lousy since yesterday morning. And something tells me the only reason I'm sick at this precise time is because I have been so stressed out about Sawyer. It's all connected!
Sawyer is an absolute mess. Truly. When Tyler got his first glimpse of Sawyer after school yesterday, his jaw dropped in shock and he said, "His face! It's on his face!" Yes, Sawyer is quite the sight right now.
He's been fighting this battle for so long that I wasn't prepared for things to turn grim--and so quickly. One day he's scratching his leg like a madman and the next he's got a raging infection that has spread all over his body. Well, I say "all over"; it's not like he's one enormous boil, but it hurts me to look at his legs especially. And his face! His sweet, cherubic face! One side of his mouth and cheek is a mass of dry, cracked skin and angry red welts.
Unfortunately, we don't technically have a family doctor yet. I know, I know, my bad. We've been here almost ten months, plenty of time to locate a physician, but the only occasion on which we really needed a doctor was when Tyler got strep, and the little CareNow clinic was up to that challenge. But anyway, Randy reminded me that we have a mutual friend in the area (and I use that term loosely--he's in Bedford which is not what you would call convenient) who is a pediatrician, so I called his office on Monday but they couldn't see Sawyer until today.
So my son is trying to peel himself out of his skin and I'm in bed with a head cold. Perfect.
Randy took off this morning so he could pinch-hit for me at the doctor, and he called just a couple of minutes ago to say he was going to swing by Kroger to get the medicines the doc prescribed for Sawyer. And the verdict is??
"One prescription to take care of the rash whenever it flares up, and one prescription to take care of the infection that he's got going on."
That's it? After all the torture, all the agony, all the weeping and wailing--and that's just me!! :-) Seriously, I knew I should have taken him to the allergist. I don't want something to treat the rash every time it flares up! I want the rash gone! Obliterated! Destroyed! Vanquished! I do not want to see that hateful rash again!
Perhaps I'm being unreasonable. Perhaps it's the head cold talking. Could be the sleep deprivation. Could be the constant, unending feeling of helplessness that threatened to swallow me up last night. I don't know, maybe having medicine to head off the rash when it rears its ugly head will be enough . . . for now.
Sleep. I need sleep.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is what I use for Brandon's exzema (dry skin): Protopic ointment. I've been putting it on him since he was 4 weeks old. It really helps, and I don't even have to put it on him every day. Every few days seems to suffice, except more often during the winter. You might want to try it. You'll have to have a prescription for it.
I have to say thank goodness the Phillips children do not have allergies. Other problems but no allergies. I see people who have them and do not know how they deal with it. Mallory is a mess right now, because like her mom she has awful alergies already at the age of 2. I will say a prayer for you and Sawyer to feel better and that the cream will help get rid of his yucky rash. Hope you all get a great night of rest.
Post a Comment