Wait! Don't go yet! Lest you think I am going to blog about that tear-jerker of a show, let me set you straight. As I mentioned last week, I was gone from Thursday afternoon through Saturday night to attend a Hearts at Home Conference in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois. The theme of the conference this year was "Extreme Home Makeover," hence the title.
My mom (technically my mother-in-law but she has ONLY ever treated me like her own child, and I mean that in the best way possible!) had an e-mail waiting for me when I got home, wondering just exactly what Hearts at Home was all about. It then occurred to me that perhaps several of you were wondering the same thing, so let me enlighten you.
Jill Savage is the founder and CEO of Hearts at Home, a "Christ-centered organization that focuses on encouraging mothers. Since its beginning in 1994, Hearts at Home has produced conferences and resources designed to encourage, educate and equip women for the most important job in the world: being a mom." And that, quite simply, is it in a nutshell. This conference takes place over the course of a weekend--all day Friday, a Mom's Night Out on Friday night and then all day Saturday. The schedule includes a Main Session, lunch and four workshops.
Just to give you an idea of what my weekend looked like, these are the titles of the workshops I attended: A Life That Says "Welcome"; Making Time For God; Mommy Communication 101; Heaven at Home; The Balancing Act; Why Doesn't My Teen Talk To Me? (my friend Debbie has a teen); Understanding Your Child's Temperament; and Creative Correction. We also purchased two CDs and listened to these on the drive home: The Power of a Purpose-Driven Mom and Lean, Healthy Moms . . . Strong, Healthy Kids.
This is the second trip Debbie and I have made to IL to attend this conference, and words simply cannot describe how powerful it is. The workshops always seem to be fairly balanced so that you receive encouragement and tools not only as a mother but also as a wife. And because the entire thing is "Christ-centered," you're in the scriptures much of the time, being given new ways to apply them in your life, teach them to your children, share them with others, etc.
I simply must share this little anecdote, but first I'm going to take you back a year. Last year right at this time, as I was preparing to go to my first conference and wasn't quite sure what to expect, I broke the news to the kids that I would be away for a couple of days (but more importantly, for a couple of nights). Naturally, they begged to come along with me but I informed them that not only was that not an option, but that children are not even WELCOME at the conference! That seems so contradictory, doesn't it?! But of course how can moms learn better how to parent their children if they aren't allowed to sit in a conference room with relatively few distractions, distractions which children would most certainly provide?
Anyway, as I was putting Tyler to bed the night before I left, he asked me one last time just why I had to go away and leave them for the weekend. I said, "Tyler, honey, I know it's hard for you to let me go, but this conference is going to help me be a better mom." And I still remember his response: "But you're FINE! You don't need to be any better!" Wow. All I could think was, "If only."
Okay, now fast forward a year. I will confess that I hadn't talked about it much with the kids because I knew it would make them sad and frankly I just didn't want any drama. So I waited until Monday of last week to share with them that I would be leaving on Thursday afternoon, and we basically had a repeat of last year. But listen to Tyler's response this time . . . . I was once again saying good-night to him and praying with him, and after the prayer he said, "Mom, I really wish you didn't have to go this weekend." I said, "I know, Tyler, but this conference is going to teach me how to be a better parent to you and Darcy and Peyton and Sawyer." Know what he said? He actually "humphed" and rolled his eyes in what I mistook for a disdainful way, and I said, "What do you mean by that humph?" And he said, "Like anyone could teach YOU how to be a better parent!" What did I do to deserve this child???
We arrived home late last night, a good three hours past the kids' bedtime, but I had a surprise waiting for me. As I was getting my bags out of Debbie's car, I saw two pretty little heads peeking around the door so I knew the girls were waiting to surprise me. And did they ever! When I opened the door I was greeted by the sight of Tyler, Darcy and Peyton hovering right at the bottom of the staircase, and Randy standing about two stairs up with Sawyer in his arms! What a homecoming! I was so happy to see everyone, I wasn't even upset that the kids were up WAY past their bedtime the night before church! (Honest, you can ask Randy!) As a matter of fact, I spent the next hour (yes, I said HOUR) catching up with the kids, lying on Sawyer's bed reading to them and listening to all of the events of the past two days while Randy finished up his sermon. I always get this way after being away from my family but I thought my heart was going to explode with joy and happiness. I may not be a perfect wife and mom, but I am loved and I am blessed.
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Andrea,
It was great to read about our wonderful experience together at the Hearts of Home conference. I enjoyed each moment, including having so much time to talk with you during the car trip and in the hotel. I also enjoyed being a witness to the homecoming you described so well. How fortunate I felt to catch a glimpse of those sweet faces ready to welcome you home! Thanks for being my HAH buddy!
Love,
Deb
Post a Comment