Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Mother of the Year

NOT! I don't think I will be winning any awards after today. Seems Sawyer got a little touch of wanderlust YET AGAIN and wandered down the street and around the corner on to Thomas Avenue, where a kindly neighbor intercepted him. However, she did not know him from Adam, as they say, but fortunately our mail carrier was passing by at the time (can you say "by the providence of God"?). Dear old Dave, being quite familiar with the Todd kids, knew just who Sawyer belonged to and cheerfully walked back to our house with him in tow.

I would not have known that any of the previous events had even happened if Darcy had not come in and spilled all the details. I did happen to catch a glimpse of Dave and someone else walking away from our driveway but didn't have time to wonder because Darcy came in the door at just that moment. Needless to say, I was horrified! How does this keep happening?!! Well, of course I know how--Sawyer simply does not see the world through big, scary eyes. Nobody's out to get him; he has nothing to fear. If he only knew! I will say this: We are terribly fortunate to live in a neighborhood where folks look out for one another, but you and I both know that dangers can lurk where you least expect them. However, I do not dwell on what might be. I do, though, certainly want my kids to be alert and cautious if something appears suspect.

Therefore, I went through the drill with Darcy and Peyton once again--oh, did I forget to tell you that it was on THEIR watch that Sawyer took his little field trip?--and reminded them of the importance of their responsibility to keep Sawyer safe while under their supervision. I even went so far as to tell them that if they should ever choose NOT to be responsible for him, they absolutely must tell me so that I may make alternate arrangements. (For the record, I am the kind of mom who is vigilant but not overly so--my "radar" is typically pretty well tuned to all of my kids' whereabouts and unless they are in the backyard where I feel they are well protected, I don't generally let them play for more than a few minutes without checking on them--even if Tyler, aka Mr. Responsible, is on the scene. In fact, I'll take it one step further: Whenever possible, I try to join them in their outdoor activities.) Today was perhaps an exception: I was making vegetable soup and time was of the essence, and Tyler was at my side assisting. Perhaps I should also add that I have observed Sawyer for the last couple of months when he's outside playing with the others, and he has given me no cause for concern in the matter of wandering away without an adult at his side. I felt that he was perfectly safe under the girls' supervision for the length of time it would take me to prepare my soup.

At any rate, when my little lecture was complete and I felt confident that the girls understood the gravity of the situation, I sent them back outside on their merry way. Naturally, Sawyer wanted to go back outside as well so off he went to play with his sisters. Meanwhile, my soup was coming along nicely and I have to say, the house was beginning to smell heavenly. Even the kids thought so! Yes, the kids! That includes Darcy and Peyton (two very finicky eaters if I may say so), who had come back in from riding their bikes. But I didn't have time to revel in their admiration for my cooking skills, for my mind was otherwise occupied. "Where is your brother?" You guessed it--he was outside alone! They shot out the back door and came back in with Sawyer--not to mention with their tails tucked between their legs!

***********************************************************

One more little anecdote~~Today we finished reading a book called The Lewis & Clark Expedition and this was the sum total of Sawyer's contribution to the story: "Mom, Sacajawea sure was beautiful." Of course, he has seen Night at the Museum twice so I believe he may have been influenced a bit more by what he's seen than by what he's heard!

No comments: