Monday, March 12, 2007

Love Thy Neighbor

Our neighbor doesn't like us. There, I've said it. Notice I didn't say our neighbors don't like us--it's just the one half of one couple (the female half) with whom we share part of a chain-link fence in the backyard. It's puzzling, because we are secure in the knowledge that we have wonderful neighborly relations not only with the other neighbors with whom we share the OTHER half of the fence in the back, but also with the two neighbors on either side of us as well as the neighbors across the street. Everybody was very warm and cordial to us when we moved in almost eleven years ago, and they have all watched with enjoyment (and often amusement) as our little family has grown--all except for this one particular aforementioned woman.

It might be helpful to comment that this couple has turned what little backyard they once had into a "garden" of sorts. And as far as I can tell, there are no grandchildren in the picture. I'm not even sure there are KIDS in the picture. In ten years I cannot remember their ever having visitors. Now, obviously I do not know the situation that has led them to be evidently childless, whether by choice or circumstance, and I won't even try to speculate. What I do know, and what makes me very sad (especially for her), is that she has carefully cultivated an air of irritation toward my children that I certainly believe is unearned. I am sad for her because my kids refer to her as "The Mad Lady." And I don't mean "mad" as in "batty," "loopy," or "crazy"; I mean "mad" as in "If your ball comes in our yard one more time I'm going to pop it!"

Yes, folks, that is exactly the scenario that my children were fearing Friday evening when they came in from playing in the backyard. You might think you're beginning to put two and two together--ball over the fence + backyard garden = bad news--but you would be wrong. First, I am just thrilled to tell you that the only thing that any ball of ours has ever disturbed in their garden is a big 'ol compost pile and what's more, we're talking about those monstrous backyard balls that you can get at Wal-mart for $3. Have you ever played with one of those things? They're lighter than air! (Hence the ease with which they go over the fence!) No, seriously, perhaps we've just been fortunate but usually if the ball does sail out of the yard, it goes to one of the neighbors on either the left or the right of us, in which case it's like an extension of our own yard. And really, how big a deal is it to hoist a 30-40 lb. kid over the fence to retrieve a ball and come right back? No harm done, right?

WRONG! At least in Garden Lady's opinion, that is. Not too many months ago our LIFE Group met at our house and we had the poor sense to combine with ANOTHER LIFE Group, which meant the backyard was teeming with kids. I was not outside to witness the tongue-lashing, but if you can believe it, another of our parents was out back and got an earful from our neighbor, telling her that she was sick of balls winding up in her yard (read: compost heap). That is a little cowardly, I think, that she didn't even have the guts to speak to either Randy or myself.

Why am I bringing all this up now? I'm not even sure, except that we had the episode the other night and my kids came in visibly upset and distraught over the fact that the ball went over the fence and they were just SURE she would pop it when she found it. I reassured them that certainly she would just tip the ball back into our yard when she discovered it, but I have to admit I waited with bated breath, wondering if I'd have to eat my words. You'll be happy to know that for now, tempers have cooled as the ball did indeed find its way back into our yard. Part of me wishes it hadn't, just so I could see Tyler make good on his threat to "march over to her house and make her pay for the ball she popped!" How did this kid become so dramatic?!

No comments: