Monday, February 4, 2008

The Ladies of the Open Circle

I have deliberately avoided talking about what I've got coming up tomorrow night in the foolish belief that if I didn't acknowledge it, it wouldn't happen. But 140 mailed-out invitations, several PowerPoint slides and numerous e-mails later, it appears I must face the music and acknowledge that I--I!--am the featured speaker at the gathering of the Ladies of the Open Circle tomorrow evening. I am still scratching my head and wondering how in the world I got sucked into this. I am, after all, NOT a public speaker. A rambler, sure, a blatherer, a runner-off-at-the-mouth, but not a public speaker.

I can only remember two "speeches" I've made in the last 22 years; one was for Speech class at ACU and I'm pretty sure it wasn't optional, and the second was just a few years ago at Southwestern, was done under duress, and apparently didn't go that well. I say apparently--I thought I did a halfway decent job but . . . well, you know how one negative can outweigh a dozen positives? The feedback I recall receiving after that night was, "Well, you went a little long" and that is what I've carried with me ever since. Harsh, no?

My mother inevitably springs to mind when I am asked if I ever speak at ladies' events. To be honest, my mother hit her stride after I was grown and gone so I can't actually attest to her talent as a professional speaker, but I do know that she became quite sought-after and in demand as a speaker for retreats, conferences, ladies' days and the like. She was also a facilitator for Adventures in Christian Living and Dynamic Marriages seminars, so she was no shrinking violet. May I just say I did NOT get that gene from my mother?

What stymies me the most is that I never feel that I have anything to say. Those who know me are probably doing any number of things at this moment, after having read the previous sentence: They are either smirking, chuckling or downright GUFFAWING at the ludicrousness (ludicrosity?, ludicrosy?) of that statement! Andrea has NOTHING to say? Impossible! Let me amend my statement, then, to say that I feel I have nothing of any particular import or significance to share with the world, never mind the Ladies of the Open Circle.

Nevertheless, I am the featured speaker/special guest/poor sap who will hold forth on any number of subjects tomorrow night, depending on where my wild hair takes me. Heaven help us, I just hope they don't turn the lights off on me.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I am sure it will be hard but you will be great. I miss talking to you. I will say a prayer for you. I can't wait to hear, well read about later. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to say to all those Cyber Friends out there... Andrea did an awesome job tonight! I'm sure she got more of those speaker genes from her Mom than she'll admit and surely she got an A+ in that speech class at ACU! She admitted her fears and reservations to everyone up front but everyone questioned all that when she was done. We were left feeling like we only got Chapter 1 and want to know when the rest of the story is coming out in paperback version! She is definitely a natural! One of these days, when she's makes the retreat circuit like her Mom did and is in such great demand... Just think! We will all be able to say "WE KNEW HER WHEN..."

Andrea, I'm feeling more and more blessed by your presence in my life everyday! ~T

Andrea said...

Kelly, you've always been such an encouragement to me. Thanks for your prayers. They obviously helped!

Andrea said...

T--I am obviously grateful for your enthusiasm and encouragement in spite of my flaws . . . and then I think, "She's the one who got me INTO this--why am I grateful to HER???" Just teasing--I can't say that I envision the same future for myself that you do but I must admit, you do make me feel like anything's possible!