Saturday, February 16, 2008

We Now Resume Our Story Already In Progress

I'm not sure how much clarity is to be had in a post written while simultaneously viewing Dreamgirls and balancing a checkbook--let's find out, shall we?

Well, I guess I've let you wait and wonder long enough; time to put the Tulsa tale to bed. So without further ado, let's pick up where we left off--outside THE STUDIO!

I should mention that I went shopping a few nights before our trip was scheduled in an effort to find something "appropriate" to wear for a commercial shoot. I mean, my wardrobe isn't exactly worthy of Oscar de la Renta. Oscar the Grouch, maybe. So I picked up a couple of very pretty blouses (I thought) and a nice pair of black pinstripe trousers--all on clearance, of course--and brought my purchases home. Verdict from Randy: NOTHING was appropriate. "Oh, didn't I tell you? No pinstripes, no patterns, no red." Are you kidding me??! I ended up just throwing five or six blouses and a pair of slacks in the suitcase and hoping for the best. 'Cause, you know, that's the look you're going for when you're going to be on TV.

When we got to the studio, the Director of Photography led us upstairs to the hair and make-up room. I will state emphatically for the record: If I never have make-up professionally applied again it will be too soon! I'm telling you, NO ONE is going to recognize me in our commercials because #1 I elected not to wear my glasses and #2 I looked like Tammy Faye Bakker. I was having a good hair day, however, so I guess that's something.

The director of the shoot (Brian) came in and visited with us while Randy and I were being made up, and he was just a completely cool guy. He had six kids of his own, so we TOTALLY hit it off. He was so funny--he described his family thusly: "We had three kids and wanted one more, but we had twins, and the sixth was a HUGE, HUGE, surprise." Alrighty-then.

Update: I started this post Friday night but some pretty serious storms came through our area last night and this afternoon so my computer and modem have been unplugged. I couldn't bear it if my modem got zapped (again) and I were unable to blog!

So where was I? Oh yes, the studio! After we had been primped and preened and powdered, we made our way downstairs for some lights, camera and action! We spent a good deal of time waiting around for the camera guys to get the lighting just right--seems they don't shoot many commercials with a pastor who is 6'4" with a little pipsqueak for a spouse; oh, in fact, I forgot one of the best parts--in the commercials I'm going to look appreciably taller because they put me up on a honkin' big box so you'd be able to see more than just a pouf of hair next to Randy.

I got the feeling that many pastors these people work with come in either under-prepared or terribly nervous because after all was said and done, and after all the assurances that we could do 50 takes if we needed to, we were done in just under an hour and a half. Randy had memorized all his lines prior to coming and, let's face it, he preaches entire sermons from memory each week so it's not like memorizing four paragraphs is that big a stretch. The goal was to get two good takes of everything, and here's what was needed: Randy filmed four "sections" that will be interspersed with footage already shot, he recorded three or four voice-overs, and then we shot seven "endings" where Randy gave the pertinent info (church and website) while I smiled lovingly at him. More about that in a minute. (Before I forget, I will be back with more information when the commercial(s) begin airing, although most of you won't be able to see them unless you have Time Warner cable and live in Arlington. You will, however, be able to see us on the website in about six weeks--not the church website, but the company's website who we are partnering with.)

So back to all the takes: It apparently went much quicker than the camera crew expected because we would do one take and the director would sort of pause and then say, "Well, that was just perfect! Let's do one more just to say we have two good ones." That's how it went most of the time. We did have one "wardrobe malfunction" (if you count earrings as part of a wardrobe) when the shot had to be delayed because my earrings kept jiggling. But otherwise, things went like clockwork. And I have been assured that my "loving" smiles that felt totally smarmy actually came across very well on camera. It was so weird--I felt pretty natural until the little red light came on, and then for some reason it just felt forced. I mean, what was my motivation??? I asked them that--oh yes I did. Come on, if you can't have a little fun when you're shooting a commercial in Tulsa, Oklahoma, when can you?

No comments: