Friday, February 1, 2008

I have obviously stayed indoors too long. I am starting to observe things that cause needless irritation, and now I'm actually blogging about them! For instance, why does it irritate me (and Randy, for that matter) when the kids eat Oatmeal Squares for breakfast? It is just cereal, after all. But I'm serious--it really gets under my skin when the kids root around in the pantry and come away holding the treasured box of Oatmeal Squares. No kidding, if you asked Randy what they're eating, he would say, "They're eating MY Oatmeal Squares." That's how proprietary HE feels toward them.

I know, I know, it's just a box of cereal, we can buy more, blah blah blah, but I guess it's the simple fact that the pantry shelves are lined with THEIR cereal--yes, now it's US against THEM--and Randy and I figure it's not too much to ask to have just ONE box of cereal to count as ours alone. We don't get a lot of that in this house, you know. What's mine is yours (and hers and hers and his and, oh yeah, his too).

Part of the issue for me is undoubtedly the cost of the cereal; it costs a LOT more for Quaker Oat Squares than for a generic brand of Toasted Oats. But I suppose if I stopped lining the pantry shelves with cereal that goes uneaten and put that savings toward another box of the Quaker stuff, I might just come out ahead. Hey, we all win!

Like I said, I've been indoors too long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes... time to get you out into the sunshine!!! Or at least buy you a case of oatmeal squares! :-) I hope things are settling down for you and that it's almost behind you all. It is suppose to be nice weather this weekend. Maybe some good weather will put some sunshine on the situation! Get everyone well... keep drinking that OJ! Love you! T

PS... Your time stamp said 11:37 pm when I saw your post and it wasn't even 9:30, wonder what's up with that??

Anonymous said...

Now I'm having to share MY Quaker Oatmeal Squares, thanks to you! Dad had never heard of them and I told him there were some in the kitchen--he "sampled them" right away last night and had another bowl tonight!!!

Andrea said...

Ooh, I'm so sorry your secret is out! You've got to admit, anyone who likes Oatmeal Squares has very good taste!