Well, after the high we experienced Sunday with the new birth in our family, we were brought crashing back down to earth yesterday with one trip to the orthodontist's office. What a bummer!
I believe I wrote previously about Tyler's upcoming orthodontic treatment, but Monday's consult was a real eye-opener. He's not even having anything out of the ordinary done; it's just that he's having everything done ALL AT ONCE and I guess I had gotten used to the "baby steps" approach that is being taken with Darcy due to her age.
Tyler, like Darcy, has a narrow mouth so he will also be fitted with a palate expander, but his is the kind that has a device in the center (at the roof of the mouth) that requires being turned with a "key" once a day. If ANYBODY ever had one of these things or knows anybody who lived with one, PLEASE reassure me that I'm not in for six months of moaning and groaning! The orthodontist said Tyler's teeth would feel a little "tight" for about ten minutes each time the key turns the device. Tell me it isn't so! Tyler is already prone to drama and I can only imagine what I'll have to listen to with every crank of the key!
Along with the palate expander, he will also get a full set of braces (Darcy only has partial braces right now--her full set will come later), so yesterday he was fitted with spacers to make room to fit the bands around his teeth. The bands come next Monday and the orthodontist will make more molds, and then he gets his braces on September 10. It has been sort of nice that Darcy has been the guinea pig for all these procedures because she has been able to confirm any pain and/or discomfort she has experienced, and sort of put Tyler's mind at ease. But for crying out loud, Tyler thought getting SPACERS was uncomfortable! For what it's worth, his mouth is SUPER-crowded so he said the technician really had to work to get a couple of the spacers placed, and in fact he was supposed to have six but only ended up with five because there was just no room where the sixth was supposed to be placed.
Now Tyler is worried about every bite he puts in his mouth: "Mom, will pizza pull my spacers out?" "What about ice cream?" Um, no.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Andrea and Tyler that was the best video that I have ever seen. Hopefully some day Josh will get to star in one just like it. We are very proud of you Tyler. It is wonderful to have a new brother in Christ. Your sister in Christ
Brenda and Josh
Brenda, I will pass along your sweet words to Tyler, and I have every confidence that Josh will indeed make the same decision someday. He already has such a heart for Jesus!
Post a Comment