Friday, August 31, 2007

How Do You Get Toothpaste Back in the Tube?

I've been saying I was going to do an entry regarding blog privacy for some time, and because I can't think of anything else to talk about right now, this'll do. The issue was actually pushed to the front burner last Sunday when my friend, Mike, acknowledged Tyler's recent baptism from the pulpit and commented that he'd learned about it from my blog. I was outed!!!

No, seriously, Mike, you didn't do anything wrong! I mean, if I didn't want people to read my blog I wouldn't include a link to it in my e-mail signature, right? But Mike's comment prompted the wife of one of our elders to tell Randy that the whole blog thing just makes her nervous because she is learning more everyday about how personal information can be used and misused.

For what it's worth, long before I began my blog I thought about how much personal information I wanted to share, and I perused the blogs of others and found different levels of security. One person who has about 17 kids living at home referred to all children under the age of 10 as "The Littles." One person referred to her children as Kid A and Kid B. I've seen lots of blogs where family members are referred to by their first initial. Naturally, in all of these blogs there are no photos to be found.

I do not fault a single person for his/her desire to protect his/her kids, and I also do not want to come off as naive or too trusting. But the fact of the matter is, as I have stated ad nauseum here in this very blog, I began this blog STRICTLY for our immediate family--grandparents, aunts and uncles--and otherwise gave out my address sparingly. I am not very technologically savvy but I do not have my blog listed in Google's Blogroll so, unless I am mistaken, my blog CANNOT be accessed unless you type in the address. If anybody would care to correct me, I'm listening!

But going back to family . . . a blog was the best way I could think of to keep family members apprised of the goings-on at the Todd house and, because we can't be together nearly as often as we'd like, I felt that posting pictures now and again would allow them to see how my kids are growing and changing. Now, of course, I have branched out. I'm not good at it, but I enjoy writing and at some point I thought, "You know, I have lots of friends who would probably like to see what my kids are up to." It's the whole snowball theory.

You might think, based on today's entry title, that I feel remorse for putting so much personal information out here on the Internet. But I have to say, I really don't. And that's not to say that I have a cavalier attitude about my children's safety. I just really enjoy this blogging thing and it's sad that the specter of fear has to taint the enjoyment I derive from sharing my life with the people I love. Okay, now I've gotten that off my chest!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm stealing this idea from the blog of a preacher whom I used to read regularly. He was heading to the beach and wanted ideas for books to read. As most of you know, I am a voracious reader and am always looking for another great story! Has anybody read anything lately that I might enjoy? I allow anonymous comments on my blog so even if you don't want to offer up your name, feel free to leave your picks at the bottom of this entry. Thanks!

No comments: