Wednesday, August 22, 2007

No Comment

Well, I really have nothing of consequence to say tonight, but if you'd like to drop me a sympathy comment, feel free! I haven't felt all that well today--I told Randy I was suffering from a severe case of fatigue--yet now here it is nearing 11:00 and I feel compelled to post SOMETHING before turning in for the night!

Speaking of comments, I have a comment or two I'd like to make about comments . . . blog comments, specifically. (Okay, enough with the comments!) When I started this blog back in January (was it really January? I'll have to go back and check) I did so with the sole intention of recording funny anecdotes related to the kids, cute pictures, etc., in ONE place so that our far-flung friends and family could come to one location to get all the news and I wouldn't have to relate the same stories over and over. I mean, I'm sure you were bored to tears by all the details of Tyler's and Darcy's orthodontic plans . . . imagine my chagrin if I'd had to tell those stories more than once!

But I found that once the blog was in place and I got a few entries under my belt, I started hoping for a little . . . well, more. (No, I'm not channeling Sharpay for all you HSM2 fans out there!) More comments, to be blunt. I found that with every entry I posted that received 0 comments, I increasingly felt as though I were essentially talking to myself.

That's not to say that NO ONE was reading my blog; in fact, I got quite a few e-mails in the early days that kind of pumped me up and gave me the incentive to "keep on keepin' on." There's just something about seeing that big ol' goose-egg sitting there that's just kind of . . . well, embarrassing!

Having said all that, I just want to say THANK YOU to those of you who have been leaving comments on my blog recently, and to those who have e-mailed me with comments related to an entry. Do you know how excited I get when I have proof that someone has actually taken the time to read what I've written? And please understand, I have no illusions about my abilities as a writer; this isn't great literature I'm churning out here! So seriously, thanks for sticking with me!

I know I'm not a great writer but I do very often have what I think are very funny anecdotes about my kids and they're just too good to keep to myself. For instance, did you know that Sawyer can identify, on sight, a snowplow, street sweeper, cement mixer, garbage truck, car carrier, freight truck, tanker, tractor-trailer, logging truck, airport fire truck, ladder truck, rescue truck, small fire truck, special equipment truck, pumper truck, grader, paver, scraper, roller, giant front-end loader (not to be confused with the run-of-the-mill, plain Jane front-end loader, make no mistake), forklift, bulldozer, truck loader crane, site dumper, giant dump truck, backhoe, wheeled excavator, track excavator, giant excavator, concrete crusher, racing truck, heavy tow truck, mobile crane, monster truck, van, farm truck, pickup truck, farm loader, all-terrain vehicle, tractor with baler, tractor with plow, tractor with manure spreader, tractor with trailer AND tractor with forklift? And now, since I've looked at this truck book with him 4,000 times, so can I!

If these are the kinds of stories that make your day, then this is the blog for you. I've got a million of 'em!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

About no comment, I am sorry I haven't written back. I love to hear what the kids are doing. I think you are a very good writer.
I can see what you mean about no comment. I hadn't thought about it. With email people do reply so you know someone is reading it, with blogs you don't unless you get a comment. I may not be the only one who really didn't make the connection. SO KEEP ON BLOGGING
AND WE WILL COMMENT.

Andrea said...

Lynn, thanks for the vote of confidence! I know it really shouldn't matter whether or not anyone comments so long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing, but I occasionally catch other blogs that are inundated with comments and I think, "How did they get to this point?" (The small voice in the back of my mind says, "It's because they're more INTERESTING than you are, stupid!")

Firewyvern said...

Just remember comments aren't always the best indication of who and how many are reading. Lurkers are everywhere! (I'd consider myself a half-lurker). The best indicator is to check out your SiteMeter stats. You can ALWAYS see how many and how often and you'll also start noticing the same addresses coming back. Of course, if you want more actual comments then you can always write a blog entry about not getting comments and ..... oh ... yeah ... you just did that huh? :)
Keep up the great work Andrea!

Andrea said...

Firewyvern~Ha ha--my evil plan is working! No, just kidding! I haven't delved into Sitemeter too deeply--I only got the free version--but all it says is "Columbus, OH" or "Auburn, AL." Not all that enlightening! But you're absolutely correct--I myself have been a lurker on blogs in the past (not so much anymore due to time constraints) and rarely, if ever, left comments but still enjoyed the entries all the same. Thanks for your viewpoint.

Firewyvern said...

Guess that's why I use Statcounter it breaks them down better. (I only ever use the free ones also.)
Maybe I'll come back every hour today and leave a comment. That way you'll get a bunch of comments. Okay, so they might not all be great comments but at least your comment number will be up there!
:)

Andrea said...

Could it possibly be coincidence that I'm now receiving a number of comments on previous posts? Probably not. I sure hope I didn't GUILT anybody into leaving comments! But I just love seeing all those mini-messages--after all, given the fact that I spend the greatest part of my time with my children, even this limited form of communication with the "outside world" is welcome!

Firewyvern said...

i noticed that too! i scrolled thru a few of your previous posts and noticed they had gotten comments as well. See, everyone just needed a little prodding :)